Why have young people stopped drinking?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12397254

Not only have they been drinking less since 2002 they have been renting more often, they have been giving up their cars and they have stopped buying houses.

The British are skinny flint and they canny afford beer because it is taxed too heavily.

Why are the British drinking less?

They are skint. High housing costs have made them poor.

Perhaps it's because the younger generation have realised drinking is basically a mugs game?

i.e. you spend a lot of money, cultivating a drug habit which is scientifically proven to (unless used with a far greater degree of moderation than most manage) be extremely damaging to health, as well as carrying the risk of alcoholism for many.

Simultaneously, most of the current generation are fully aware that the goverment have been lying for decades by exagarating the harmful effects of several serious competitors to alcohol, especially cannabis (proven to be the least harmful recreational drug) and, things like MDMA etc.

Many have also realised that it's perfectly feasable to get through live without abusing any substances, or even by abstaining totally.

The question isn't why they're drinking less- it's why previous generations had such a fixation on alcohol in the first place.

There is a pub in liverpool that only serves non alcoholic drinks.It was the idea of a recovering alcoholic.It apparently is doing very well,and is attracting young students who love the music and can enjoy themselves and have fun without drinking.I think it would be good to have one like that in Sheffield,then there would be somewhere for recovering alcoholics to go without being subject to temptation.

I love to see young people enjoying themselves and having fun,and i think most of the time they seem to manage to do that when their sober.

There is a pub in liverpool that only serves non alcoholic drinks.It was the idea of a recovering alcoholic.It apparently is doing very well,and is attracting young students who love the music and can enjoy themselves and have fun without drinking.I think it would be good to have one like that in Sheffield,then there would be somewhere for recovering alcoholics to go without being subject to temptation.

I love to see young people enjoying themselves and having fun,and i think most of the time they seem to manage to do that when their sober.

There's been many-a-time when I've not wanted to drink whilst out with mates. Just because alcohol is available doesn't mean you HAVE to drink it.

It also served a purpose because it meant that I could take the car, ferry my mates downtown and then not be robbed by the taxi companies "because I'm going over their boundary" (an actual excuse tried by a now defunct firm on one occasion I did drink).

At the end off the day if you are young and a bit short of money are you going to

(A) go ot with the mates to the pub/town Drink 6 pints of beer at £2.80ish (£16.80ish) got to the kebab shop spend £5+ then get a taxi home £5+ Which would be at least £26.80

(B) Stay in with the mates and go to the local supermarket Get 6 can's for about £6 and a pizza to chuck in the oven about £2.... Grand total of £8

Im sure I know what 90% of people would do

At the end off the day if you are young and a bit short of money are you going to

(A) go ot with the mates to the pub/town Drink 6 pints of beer at £2.80ish (£16.80ish) got to the kebab shop spend £5+ then get a taxi home £5+ Which would be at least £26.80

(B) Stay in with the mates and go to the local supermarket Get 6 can's for about £6 and a pizza to chuck in the oven about £2.... Grand total of £8

I see that quite often, students walking home down Fulwood Rd loaded up with cheap booze from the Spar in Broomhill.

I see that quite often, students walking home down Fulwood Rd loaded up with cheap booze from the Spar in Broomhill.

So students are using their brains and not over spending when they can't afford it?

That's not a bad thing is it? :)

The 90% that mike has pulled out doesn't apply to anything other than a random figure.

Students in recent years are drinking more at home but still going out to clubs as before. The pub is being used less in between.

Archived