PM says we are all better off as the United Kingdom

Scottish independence? Won't happen, FACT! The Scottish Government likes the money we English give them.

I wouldn't be so sure once it goes to referendum. Salmond is a wiley campaigner, he's carefully stacking all decks in his favour. Personally I can't stand the bloke but he knows how to play the game. Why else does he want 16-18 years olds voting for example? Is it the fact that "they're the future of Scotland"? Nope it's that they're the most likely to have not fully grasped the consequences of independance, but would vote for it in Braveheart Gung-ho droves.

He also argues good points on Economics, most of it is smoke and mirrors.. but he tells the Scots what they want to hear.

Any intervention by Davey boy, is also just as likely to strengthen Salmond's hand.. in fact best thing he could do is to go out all guns blazing in support of the SNP... I think that would almost guarantee the Union :)

So if they have a referendum and decide to stay with the union, shouldn't the rest of the union get to vote on whether we want them to stay?

The SNP behave like petulent children and if that's how Scotland wants to behave (since they voted for a majority SNP assembly) I say let them, but they need to realise that many of the rest of us can't abide their behaviour.

So what do you think? You didn't say.

I think they will cut their own throat.

They are harking back to the 17th century and hoping for the old strong ties with France, those days are gone.

But they hate the English, and always have done, so best let them go.

(Even though there is no such thing as an Englishman, as a race, they just hate the idea)

Salmond really has got Cameron eating out of his hand on this issue, just heard on the news that Cameron is up in Edinburgh offering more devolved powers if he drops the independence thing.

Not sure of the pros and cons, but it's certainly ruffled Cameron's feathers.

I'm not sure there are any cons for the SNP. It's win/win, pushing the independence agenda means they will almost certainly get more financial powers whatever the result. They can blame Westminster for the economic downturn for the whole of this term avoiding any responsibility for actually running Scotland by using this as a distraction. Most likely they'll continue to get an even bigger subsidy from Westminster at the end of it all which they will claim the credit for.

What Cameron needs to do is bide his time and find a viable hard line. He needs to find something that can hit the SNP where it hurts. This would give him the required leverage to prevent independence while at the same time resolving the scottish part of the West Lothian question.

I wish that it could be something like; the UK will impose sanctions on an independent Scotland, or use our veto to block Scottish EU membership. But that's probably a bit extreeme.

I wish that it could be something like; the UK will impose sanctions on an independent Scotland, or use our veto to block Scottish EU membership. But that's probably a bit extreeme.

With attitudes like yours is it any wonder the SNP are in government in Edinburgh?

Salmond was forced to admit - on Newsnight I believe but not certain - that he expected the Bank of England to remain the lender of last resort. Cameron could make clear that the Bank of England would not guarantee the debts of an independent Scotland - after all, why should it? - I don't know if that would be as hard a line as you're suggesting.

Archived