Who owns a house?

Well I have no mortgage, don't pay any rent to anyone so I wonder who owns my house..:suspect: mmm! Now let me think.........! :loopy::huh:

Technically you have custody over land and all that breathes and lives on it, You cannot own it, even the American First Peoples knew that

You can also search for planning applications for houses on the council website. This can be useful in tracking down info on empty buildings, who owns them, what plans have been submitted etc.

I know because I was interested in a property near me that has been empty for some time, I was able to find out who owned it, when it was sold and who to, why it's still empty, why the plans submitted had been rejected.... ultimately enough info to realise I was no longer interested!

The question was about the house owner, not the land it's on.

No. The landowner IS the houseowner. 'Land' includes everything on/in it.

Evidence: see section 62 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (with my underlinings):

62 General words implied in conveyances.

(1) A conveyance of land shall be deemed to include and shall by virtue of this Act operate to convey, with the land, all buildings, erections, fixtures, commons, hedges, ditches, fences, ways, waters, water-courses, liberties, privileges, easements, rights, and advantages whatsoever, appertaining or reputed to appertain to the land, or any part thereof, or, at the time of conveyance, demised, occupied, or enjoyed with, or reputed or known as part or parcel of or appurtenant to the land or any part thereof.

(2) A conveyance of land, having houses or other buildings thereon, shall be deemed to include and shall by virtue of this Act operate to convey, with the land, houses, or other buildings, all outhouses, erections, fixtures, cellars, areas, courts, courtyards, cisterns, sewers, gutters, drains, ways, passages, lights, watercourses, liberties, privileges, easements, rights, and advantages whatsoever, appertaining or reputed to appertain to the land, houses, or other buildings conveyed, or any of them, or any part thereof, or, at the time of conveyance, demised, occupied, or enjoyed with, or reputed or known as part or parcel of or appurtenant to, the land, houses, or other buildings conveyed, or any of them, or any part thereof.

To verify ownership, see HMLR records @ £4 per copy: https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

Archived