Putting one's foot down

I always tell my kids that the main thing I can't stand is a liar. If they are brave enough to break the rules in the first place then there is no reason why they can't be brave enough to tell the truth about it.

I personally can't see how anyone can evaluate whether Mr Moran's punishment was justified or not because we don't know the age of the child or what lie they told.

Obviously, with any lie told it is important to find out the reason why they lied, usually it's because they aren't happy with the consequence but not always, again it depends on the child and the lie.

My lad has lied to me on occasion, leaving his placement earlier to meet up with a friend. When I questioned him about turning up home early he lied and said they sent them home early. For that he was grounded for that day. He didn't attend the course for the full day and lied about it so keeping him in fitted the crime, so to speak.

Lets also not forget that a child lying can put them in dangerous situations. If a child gets away with little lies its only a matter of time before they think its ok to tell their parents bigger ones, especially if a pervert encourages them to. Its the exteme end of the scale I know but I think its about finding the balance between punishing the lie but rewarding the final confession. Kids must know that lying is wrong but they can always admit the truth and not be afraid of the parents reaction.

Lets also not forget that a child lying can put them in dangerous situations. If a child gets away with little lies its only a matter of time before they think its ok to tell their parents bigger ones, especially if a pervert encourages them to. Its the exteme end of the scale I know but I think its about finding the balance between punishing the lie but rewarding the final confession. Kids must know that lying is wrong but they can always admit the truth and not be afraid of the parents reaction.

It's often thought that kids who lie to their parents lie because they are scared of the parent. My lad is more scared of losing his Xbox for a night than he is the thought of me being angry with him :hihi:.

You're right though, lying can often become a safety issue at some point.

Do you think that the "said child" was afraid to tell you the truth in fear of some of your "sanctions"?

That doesn't make sense if the sanctions are for lying does it.

Child was caught out and is now sorry, but maybe having missed the trip they'll learn to just tell the truth next time. Hard, but fair ultimately.

If you want your kid to resent you, you're going the right way about it.

If I had a kid I'd rather it grew up looking upon me as a nice, forgiving guy...and not, what you did.

On the other hand you don't want your child growing up out of control, with no boundaries, lying to your face or simply doing what they please because you want to be a nice guy.

You're their parent, not their mate, act like it! (Not aimed at you, aimed at your comment).

Course you can.

Well you would woundt you.

Youve got an online persona to keep up.;)

Mr Moran I have to ask if you are so big on honesty why are you saying most people are different to their online persona? I think the majority are the same in real life at least the ones I've met off here are so I think that's a sweeping generalisation my friend, with me WYSIWYG:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Course you can.

Well you would woundt you.

Youve got an online persona to keep up.;)

Mr Moran I have to ask if you are so big on honesty why are you saying most people are different to their online persona? I think the majority are the same in real life at least the ones I've met off here are so I think that's a sweeping generalisation my friend, with me WYSIWYG:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edit, the above was quoted from Denlin, but the quote seems to have messed up..

I posted showing him up to be a liar himself, but after "reporting" my post, it got deleted.

Make of that what you will.

@ Kittenta, if the OP did not want anyone to speculate then surely he should either have made everything more clear or not bothered posting this at all.

@ Cyclone, it depends how harsh the "sanctions" are, for lying.

Archived