When was Deerlands Avenue built?

TheGuy

A thread from the forum archives: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-706318.html

...says that most of the Parson Cross council estate was built in the late thirties. The road network probably dates to then, since it was farmland before the estates were built.

For more detailed information you could try to contact whoever posted that thread, or go to the local history section in the Central Lending Library, or talk to someone at the town hall about any archives/historical records.

Incidentally, this thread will get moved to the Sheffield History section, where people who know more about Sheffield's history than I do might also volunteer some information for you.

The area of Old Parson Cross, from Herries road up to and including Deerlands, was built in the years just before WW2, '36-'39. Deerlands would have been the newest of these.

New PX, Deerlands to Ecclesfield, was built partly during and mostly after WW2.

The labourers used during the war were Italian POWs (after Italy had become allies) who were barracked at Grenoside, where the Crematorium is now.

One of my ancestors the Pearson Family owned Deerlands Farm which stood near Southey Hill.

You can look them up on the Census Returns.

It was a large farm with plenty of land.

I believe the area was known as Deerlands and the Avenue was named after this area.

The farm and surrounding named land is on the old maps of the area.

The farm has longtime gone but there are photographs of the farm.

I hope this helps you

PopT

I believe the area was known as Deerlands and the Avenue was named after this area.

PopT

I'm curious now - there's a possibility that there was an avenue through the Deerlands when it was still part of a country estate

I might have to go looking at historical maps now :suspect:

I'm curious now - there's a possibility that there was an avenue through the Deerlands when it was still part of a country estate

I might have to go looking at historical maps now :suspect:

PopT is correct.

The name comes from the farm which previously stood around that area. There were no "named" lanes through the farm area. Doe Royd Lane was at one end. The other end was Ecclesfield. Nothing in between 'cept trees and grass.

How does one go about obtaining that information?

Deerlands Avenue was started in the late thirties, I was born on Deerlands Avenue in 1940, I remember tanks coming up the road toward Barnsley Road in 1944, strange how early memories stick in you mind when I can't remember what I did two days ago.

The road was concreted upto about to about No 29, where after it was just rough made. ( the area below No 19 and the land across the road was know as the plantation ). Why this was called that on reflection was beyond me.

At the bottom of Swanbourne Road where it met Lindsey Road was a static water tank which was there in case water was needed to put out fires caused by bombing, it was full of water and rubbish.

The road was concreted upto about to about No 29, where after it was just rough made.

On Wordsworth, where the road crosses the stream next to Roy Fox's house, the road surface changed at the border of Sheffield and The West Riding. It was concrete on the old side (Sheffield) and tarmac'd down towards Ecclesfield.

The lamposts also changed from iron to pre-fab'd.

Archived