When was Deerlands Avenue built?

TheGuy

I've lived just down hill from St Pats since 1955 and as far as I know that has always been the church social club not the Church the church is at Lane Top. I remember Hillards (now job lot) being built and opened by the then Miss World Ann Sidney. I was a teenager then I think so would have been early/mid sixties. ;Prior to that it was fields and bushes which we used to walk though on Saturday afternoons on way to matinee at Cap (Essoldo cinema)

How does one go about obtaining that information?

Deerlands Avenue was just a bulldozed track of farmland when it was started in 1937.

It ran roughly parallel to the land drainage ditch known as Tongue Gutter (also known as Sheffield Lane Dike at the Barnsley Road end.)

House building started at both ends of Deerlands Avenue (Halifax Road and Barnsley Road) and met in the middle.

Deerlands Avenue was kept as straight as possible but the boundary of the purchased land (Tongue Gutter) wasn't too straight. Any gaps of decent building land between Deerlands Ave and Tongue Gutter were filled in with the likes of Deerlands Mount, Deerlands Close, Wordsworth Close and the first few houses on Chaucer Road, Wordsworth Avenue and Holgate Avenue.

House building in the area was interupted by World War II and didn't restart until 1947. So all land on the Deerlands side of Tongue Gutter was then referred to as Old Parson Cross (pre-war) and all land on the Ecclesfield side of Tongue Gutter was called New Parson Cross (post-war).

Tongue Gutter is therefore the official boundary between Old and New Parson Cross.

'New' Parson Cross had very important snob value in the 1940's and 1950's !!!

However, just like Old Pence and New Pence, the difference fades into insignificance with the passage of time and The Cross is The Cross, old and new.

Just one more bit of useless information - Chaucer Road was Creswick Lane before 1937.

Wordsworth Avenue was Doe Royd Lane at that time and it met Creswick Lane at Tongue Gutter (near to today's ASDA roundabout on Chaucer Road).

Strange but true.

I've lived just down the hill from St Pats since 1955 and as far as I know that has always been the church social club not the Church.

St Pats Social Club only opened when you were 17. The Church of Christ the King on Deerlands Avenue, Sheffield was purchased by Father Michael Daly in 1971 for £9,000.

It was converted into St Patrick's Social Club for a further £17,000 and opened in 1972.

Just one more bit of useless information - Chaucer Road was Creswick Lane before 1937.

Wordsworth Avenue was Doe Royd Lane at that time and it met Creswick Lane at Tongue Gutter (near to today's ASDA roundabout on Chaucer Road).

Superb info..

St Pats Social Club only opened when you were 17. The Church of Christ the King on Deerlands Avenue, Sheffield was purchased by Father Michael Daly in 1971 for £9,000.

It was converted into St Patrick's Social Club for a further £17,000 and opened in 1972.

I was 20 in 1971:D

Was there a previous St Pat's social? I'm sure my brother and sister used to attend in the early/mid 60s

Was there a previous St Pat's social?

I'm sure my brother and sister used to attend in the early/mid 60s

The church did do Baptisms up to 1970 and it is recorded that Father Daly bought 'the church' in 1971.

Maybe the church also did 'social events' that are being confused with St Pats ???

Deerlands Avenue was just a bulldozed track of farmland when it was started in 1937.

It ran roughly parallel to the land drainage ditch known as Tongue Gutter (also known as Sheffield Lane Dike at the Barnsley Road end.)

House building started at both ends of Deerlands Avenue (Halifax Road and Barnsley Road) and met in the middle.

Deerlands Avenue was kept as straight as possible but the boundary of the purchased land (Tongue Gutter) wasn't too straight. Any gaps of decent building land between Deerlands Ave and Tongue Gutter were filled in with the likes of Deerlands Mount, Deerlands Close, Wordsworth Close and the first few houses on Chaucer Road, Wordsworth Avenue and Holgate Avenue.

House building in the area was interupted by World War II and didn't restart until 1947. So all land on the Deerlands side of Tongue Gutter was then referred to as Old Parson Cross (pre-war) and all land on the Ecclesfield side of Tongue Gutter was called New Parson Cross (post-war).

Tongue Gutter is therefore the official boundary between Old and New Parson Cross.

'New' Parson Cross had very important snob value in the 1940's and 1950's !!!

However, just like Old Pence and New Pence, the difference fades into insignificance with the passage of time and The Cross is The Cross, old and new.

Strange but true.

Fantastic, i loved reading that! Where did you get all the info from?

Archived