Are we really so wrapped up in our own little worlds?? Take a moment..

I remember reading a piece once about how they'd tested people eating the same food in different settings, eg hosital, private jet, school dining room, 5* restaurant - and how people rated the food depending on where they were and who they were eating with.

Definitely people do appreciate things differently according to their surroudings. Those people who are paying $100 a ticket aren't just paying to hear violin music - they're paying for a number of things, the experience, to impress a girlfriend, the night out, to be 'people who theatre'. I'd bet most of them wouldn't pay that amount to see this guy in a school hall at 10am, and I wouldn't expect them to.

I dont see how this is anything unexpected, really.

I chucked a £ into the guitar case of someone playing on the underground over the weekend, they were at the bottom of the escalator so I had time to listen as I travelled down and time to dig into my pocket since it was a good song and well played.

It could have been world class and I still wouldn't have stopped, not because I didn't appreciate it but because I had a train to catch to get to somewhere for a certain time.

Archived