What have Labour ever done for you?

You're right times are changing. Britain in many ways is going back to the Victorian era. And ironically it was out of this era that many reforms came. No doubt people then were complaining then that social reform would make the poor lazy, and the nation uncompetitive.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Take a look at the eighties and nineties, the same happened then.

Not as many. The 'golden years' of Labour are scrubbed from history. Have a look at Trevor Kavanagh. Scum Sun journo, who, at one point thought Gorden Brown was the best thing since the 'Iron Lady'. Why did he change his mind?

I don't know how old you are but you don't sound like you had to live through the last tory government, conservatives will do nothing for the working man and never have done they are only interested in putting everyone on the dole and destroying the NHS it is there policy to keep the serfs under control and the best way to do it is financially,Labour have worked hard for years to lift the standards of living for the working man, if it was up to the torys the working class would be like peasants plowing a field living on gruel and turnips and doffing there caps to to the gentry, take it from the past experiences of the torys they do nothing for the hard working descent people of this country and forget about the trickle down system what the torys always go on about nothing trickles anywhere down it just trickles in to the bank accounts of the snobby landed gentry and bent money shufflers.

With an attitude like that I asssume you are a Labour councillor.

Not only did I live through the last lot of Tories but the last lot of Labour before Thatcher. In those days I supported Labour but by 1979 I wasn't going to again.

The problem with your attitude and that of a lot of your ilk is that you simply do not understand economics. The Tories always have to clear up the mess after Labour have binged on tax and spend until they puked all over the country. In clearing up the mess some people get their freebies taken away and that's your real problem. Thatcher took away your subsidies, not your jobs. You know what you don't want but you have no idea how to get what you do want in a way the country can afford it.

Not only did I live through the last lot of Tories but the last lot of Labour before Thatcher. In those days I supported Labour but by 1979 I wasn't going to again.

The problem with your attitude and that of a lot of your ilk is that you simply do not understand economics. The Tories always have to clear up the mess after Labour have binged on tax and spend until they puked all over the country. In clearing up the mess some people get their freebies taken away and that's your real problem. Thatcher took away your subsidies, not your jobs. You know what you don't want but you have no idea how to get what you do want in a way the country can afford it.

so what part/s of tom fletcher post you think is not happening here and now ?

You know the saying that appears on these boards everday how people always keep going on about how Thatcher ruined the UK, well, why do the tory bullies always go on on about the 1970s?

I know very well that some minority groups have had to organise to get their voices heard in the corridors of power. Earlier I quoted gay and disabled people as examples of minorities that have been marginalised. Could you give me examples of the preferential treatment that these groups now enjoy over straight and able bodied people.

Try this:

I know a B&B owner in south west Wales who struggles to get by on a very short season. She's very good and has a lovely house but it's in a remote area.

Under various rules about disabled access she was forced to pay about £5000 to get her establishment up to code to comply with all the rules and regulations. In her 20 years at the B&B she has never had a single enquiry from a disabled person. Under the law if she hadn't spent the money she would have had her meagre livelihood taken away. How is that fair on her?

That is not preferential treatment, that is a case where the rules put in place for minorities disdvantage ordinary businesses. How many B&Bs have had to do the same? It's all out of proportion to the needs of the disabled. Nobody is arguing that the disabled should have access to places they need to go regularly. As usual there is no balance.

You can look at the row over Gay marriage and the church to see them pushing the boundaries even further.

Archived