What have Labour ever done for you?

Other than the fact that I don't support them, I think, as a group of individuals, labour politicians are no better or worse than those of other political parties - there are good uns and bad uns everywhere - as a political philosophy, if there was only Labour & Conservative, and voting for one or the other was compulsory, I'd sway more towards Labour as, historically, their policies have been more motivated to help and protect those less capable of helping themselves - whether or not they have achieved what they wanted to do is a different debate

Your question was, what have Labour ever done for you - not what have they done recently. Saying the creation of the NHS was Labour 60 years ago misses the point - irrespective of how successive Governments of all parties have changed its fundamental nature, the legacy of the policy decisions 60 odd years ago still have far reaching beneficial consequences now

I am not suggesting the Labour movement hasn't been a force for good in the past. We all benefit from that history just as we benefit from Winston Churchill in WW2 and many previous administrations all doing their share of good and evil.

What I fail to understand is the slavish support for a party that appears to be living off its history and hasn't actually had anything substantial to offer in terms of social reform in even my long lifetime. It's not as if there's nothing left to do. Social injustice seems as rife as ever. They just seem incapable of doing it.

In spite of the mockery from the right wing guttersnipes, they pressed ahead with equalities legislation which has helped many - including myself

I am not convinced that equalities legislation has worked as well as it was intended. Whilst I am against any kind of discrimination it does seem to have given too many the right to cry foul when they don't get what they want. I think that was a piece of social legislation that has backfired.

I am not suggesting the Labour movement hasn't been a force for good in the past. We all benefit from that history just as we benefit from Winston Churchill in WW2 and many previous administrations all doing their share of good and evil.

What I fail to understand is the slavish support for a party that appears to be living off its history and hasn't actually had anything substantial to offer in terms of social reform in even my long lifetime. It's not as if there's nothing left to do. Social injustice seems as rife as ever. They just seem incapable of doing it.

they're the leser of two evils

You will learn :hihi: ………… Did you actually live through the milk snatchers reign, has is ever crossed your mind why after 17 years in opposition Cameron still needed Clegg to form a government.

Perhaps a better question would be "Why after 13 years of Labour did the people decide they no longer wanted them?"

I am not convinced that equalities legislation has worked as well as it was intended. Whilst I am against any kind of discrimination it does seem to have given too many the right to cry foul when they don't get what they want. I think that was a piece of social legislation that has backfired.

But you're trying to discriminate in this thread whilst trying not to get banned for it, yet you're hoping that other people will get banned for something they say.

Given that all that happened 20 years before even I was born I can't see how that would mean Labour have ever done anything for me. The pattern that is emerging is that Labour did a lot of good things up to creating the NHS 60 years ago but they haven't done much since. So I fail to see why they enjoy the support they do.

You see, the difficulty here is that some people don't take short term, short-sighted views, and don't look at things in isolation, accepting that good people can do bad things, bad people can do good things, good things can happen to bad people, bad things can happen to good people, and best intentions don't always result in positive outcomes.

If you "fail to see why they enjoy the support they do" you will be disinclined to view any positive comment as a "good thing" done by Labour - as your post at #22 indicates

Archived