Making tea and coffee with hot water..

Hot water systems can contain that legionairs disease, but not sure how that matters if its boiled right, maybe it takes more than boiling to kill it,

What would concern me is that hot water systems, unless combi, have an header tank in the loft and the lids have a habit of getting left off by workers and people going up in the loft, so you can end up with all sorts in the water.

I would not like to think anything I drank had gone through a combi boiler either.

This ^^^ plus if you have a hot water tank rather than a combi heater then over years of use a whole hoard of impurities will precipitate out in the bottom of the tank, when the water is cooled these become a breeding ground for bacteria (and if you've ever had a hot water tank you know that you don't keep them on all the time as it would cost a fortune), basically imagine drinking the water that comes out of your radiator.

jb

So, my little bogey eaters, what do you think...? ARE drinks different when made from water thats hot or cold to start with?

Personally, I think drinks made with hot water from the tap do taste different, more metalic, it's difficult to say but it just doesn't taste quite right.

It's far worse in areas with hard water I find.

WHY are they different if they are different?

Really couldn't say, no idea.

If your hot water comes from a header tank, then you might get a bit of bird poop or dead rat in it - but if you boil the water, it probably won't change the taste too much and you'll kill the bugs.

My water supply is all at mains pressure, so there's not a lot of difference between hot and cold, but the cold water from the tap in my kitchen goes through a filter which removes (most of ) the chlorine. I suppose that might make a bit of difference to the taste of the coffee. - It certainly stops the chlorine from altering the flavour of the hops I put in barley soup. :)

Archived