Is tipping supposed to be automatic or actually worked for?

I have a few friends who are waiting staff and they're all pretty much of the opinion that I'm a complete cowbag for not tipping if I don't feel like I got reasonable enough service when I eat out. However, when I do get good service and it's been earned my hubby and i tip very well, at least 20%. I've been a waitress myself (briefly) and I've worked behind a bar so I know what it's like but I never expected my tips, they were a pleasant surprise. I'm not an automatic tipper and I don't tip taxi drivers, does that really make me such a meanie? :rolleyes: Do you tip automatically?

Always tip 10% when eating out (even at places like wagamama ) unless the service has been truly awful.

Round up taxi fares to nearest £1.00 / £1.50 or so.

Irrespective of quality of service? My waiting staff friends have the attitude that because of all the nonsense from customers they have to deal with then they are "entitled" to be tipped. I work in a supermarket and I deal with some truly awful people but I don't get tipped. :huh:

Tipping shouldn't be automatic and I often wonder why it's more common to tip one service job than another.

If you go to America, if you don't tip there it's like, very very bad and the waiter will probably confront you as to why you did not. But waiters there are paid much lower because their tips are factored into the minimum wage.

Not the same here.

There are people who tip even after a service charge is added to the bill.

Maybe if you're a really demanding customer and they've served you well, fine, tip.

But if my interactions with a waiter only extend to them bringing the food and drinks to my table...you know, the thing they're getting paid to do anyway, why tip?

When eating out if my server has been pleasant and helpful then I will tip 10%. If they go that extra mile and I think do you know what that person is brilliant at their job I will usually tip 20% and also mention to the manager how well we have been treated by that person,

However if like last week when my daughter and I got a really surley server, who really didn't want to be there I will not tip and usually leave at that but that time I had to mention to her manager just how miserable and unhelpful she was.

When eating out if my server has been pleasant and helpful then I will tip 10%. If they go that extra mile and I think do you know what that person is brilliant at their job I will usually tip 20% and also mention to the manager how well we have been treated by that person,

However if like last week when my daughter and I got a really surley server, who really didn't want to be there I will not tip and usually leave at that but that time I had to mention to her manager just how miserable and unhelpful she was.

I think it's a bit unfair on the person for you to complain to their manager just because they're a bit surly.

Did she bring the food to your table? Did she bring the drinks to your table? If so why do you expect any more than that?

I think it's a bit unfair on the person for you to complain to their manager just because they're a bit surly.

Did she bring the food to your table? Did she bring the drinks to your table? If so why do you expect any more than that?

My Bold

This is the perfect answer, they get paid to bring food and drinks over, why does everyone expect so much more from them? why should they get tipped to do their job

Archived