Is tipping supposed to be automatic or actually worked for?

Thats hard to believe that that happend..and American is a country that gives money away to everyone ? thats made up also, Brits are known for not tipping at the best of times so it's just accepted in most NY resturants , but if that did happen to your party I assume there was more involved than just not tipping :suspect:

Trust me it happened. I don't make stories up and there is no need for such an accusation, I have nothing to prove.

The waiter was a bit of a drama Queen and even took offence when we queried where our food was and when it arrived and was wrong he flounced off, clearly unimpressed.

I've visited many other restaurants around the whole of the States, I visit at least once a year and have been to just about every State, and never had a similar problem. I accept the culture is different over there and blend in and tip accordingly. I can't speak for other Brits.

Trust me it happened. I don't make stories up and there is no need for such an accusation, I have nothing to prove.

The waiter was a bit of a drama Queen and even took offence when we queried where our food was and when it arrived and was wrong he flounced off, clearly unimpressed.

I've visited many other restaurants around the whole of the States, I visit at least once a year and have been to just about every State, and never had a similar problem. I accept the culture is different over there and blend in and tip accordingly. I can't speak for other Brits.

Yes I do believe you visited all the States especially saying Americans give away money :hihi: how much did you collect on your Journey around each State ?

There's a country by country guide on the Internet,and most advise 10/15% unless there is a service charge,and rounding up on taxi fares.

For the States it's advise as 15/25%.

I also had a bad experience there on my first trip,having landed with only large denomination bills,and the porter carried my bag to the room.

They certainly make their displeasure obvious.

I'll tip 15-20% for really great service, 10% for average and around 5% for below average. I don't believe tipping should be expected, it should be in relation to quality of service.

I don't generally tip taxi drivers but I'll round up to the nearest pound. I think their fares are extortionate as it is.

You're not funny.

when i was a taxi driver i had to pick up some korean businessmen at doncaster station and take them to the hallam towers hotel. they tipped me with three US dollars! worth around 1.50 at that time or an hour and a halfs pay ( i kid you not), biggest tip i ever got! i still have those notes.

second biggest tip i got was, get a better job!

p.s. early finish tonight buffy?

I don't mind tipping, don't do it automatically, or any set amount, just whatever spare change I have at the time.

We went to Pizza Express a few months ago for a birthday meal though, and there were about 20 of us. The 'service charges' were automatically added to the bill and came to £46 or something silly, thats way too much if you ask me!

I don't mind tipping, don't do it automatically, or any set amount, just whatever spare change I have at the time.

We went to Pizza Express a few months ago for a birthday meal though, and there were about 20 of us. The 'service charges' were automatically added to the bill and came to £46 or something silly, thats way too much if you ask me!

46 quid? theyre having a laugh. you could have got free delivery from most pizza joints. they should have tipped you for bringing 19 customers in.

just remembered, been to mcdonalds and forgot to tip the waitress at the drive-thru. damn!

better not go there again for a while.

Archived