Were there 16+ exams

Were there 16+ exams that someone would take if they didn't do well at O-level?

...16+'s which was a predecessor of GCSE

Yes. They graded from O level grade A down to CSE grade 5 (I think). They were a sort of forerunner of GCSE. They ran alongside O level and CSE.

Yes, they were in operation in the mid 1980s. If you know your exams then you could date me completely accurately because I'm one of the only academic year that could take O levels, 16+ exams and GCSEs all within 2 years.

When you took a 16+ you ended up with both an O level and a CSE certificate at the end, so I've got both Os and CSEs in most of the subjects that I took (along with a couple of GCSEs that I took to boost my subject knowledge in 6th form).

Yes, they were in operation in the mid 1980s. If you know your exams then you could date me completely accurately because I'm one of the only academic year that could take O levels, 16+ exams and GCSEs all within 2 years.

When you took a 16+ you ended up with both an O level and a CSE certificate at the end, so I've got both Os and CSEs in most of the subjects that I took (along with a couple of GCSEs that I took to boost my subject knowledge in 6th form).

Were they set in 1982-1986? 1985

I

Would 16+ have been different form A/Os? If they were what ways would they have different if you know?

If I remember rightly, and A/O exam gave you an "A" level qualification if you did well enough, and an "O" level if you didn't. (And as such, it was completely pointless for anyone who'd taken O levels and gone on to A levels in the same subjects.)

The 16+ exam gave you an "O" level if you did well enough, and a CSE if you didn't. The same principle, but at a lower grade. The intention, I think, was to solve the problem of borderline students; if you entered them for a CSE and they got a grade 1, they could have had a proper "O" level but didn't; whereas if you entered them for "O" level and they failed, they were left with nothing. (Theoretically a CSE grade 1 was equal to an "O" level grade C, but most employers would discount them as worthless on the grounds that if you were really good enough for "O" level grade C you wouldn't have been made to take the CSE exam!)

I

Would 16+ have been different form A/Os? If they were what ways would they have different if you know?

I honestly don't know, partly because I have no idea what an A/O is!

From what I remember of the 16+ you just sat the exam as normal - if you were good enough you got an O level grade - if you weren't you got a CSE grade - it just meant you only had to sit one exam rather than doing O levels and CSE's in the same subject - which you'd do if you weren't sure you'd pass the O level

I remember my chemistry class sitting both CSE's and O levels - no-one got a grade 1 CSE (which was supposedly an O level equivalent), but only one (me!!) failed the O level

Archived