Electronic cigarettes - more awareness needed

I recently invested in an electronic cigarette. I wasn't what you'd call a heavy smoker, but I do enjoy the effects of nicotine and the smoking sensation in general.

In a nutshell, I think the e-cig is a fantastic piece of technology of which every smoker should be aware. As an extreme scenario, if every smoker who is unwilling to quit switched to smoking e-cigs tomorrow, the severity of the smoking related cancer/disease epidemic could be significantly reduced.

For anyone who does not know what e-cigs are, they are basically vapourisers that mimick cigarettes, cigars and even pipes. You inhale nicotine vapour through a battery operated, atomised cartridge into your lungs without burning any chemicals, meaning zero carbon monoxide, tar and the thousands of other carcinogens produced from burning tobacco. You exhale what appears to be smoke but is in fact merely odourless vapour.

While studies still need to be conducted to clarify the safety of this form of smoking in more absolute terms, a small number of existing studies have shown that inhaling nicotine vapour poses no serious health risk, as the chemical compounds in the "juice" are not considered harmful and are similar to those used in inhalers for asthma sufferers and in nicotine inhalators. Compare that to tobacco smoking, the risks of which I'm sure we're all fully aware.

Smoking e-cigs is far cheaper than tobacco cigs. A 20-a-day smoker would save about £120 per month.

Switching to vaping has also been a richer and more enjoyable experience for many smokers - you can choose from a range of tobacco flavours including pipe and cigar tobaccos, menthol, fruit, even cola and other unusual flavours.

This technology has been available for less than a decade, so is still in its infancy, which is why awareness of it is poor. There may also be a lobbying effort against such technology from gaining larger market share, as it threatens both the tobacco and pharmaceutical companies who produce smoking cessation devices (Nicorette, Niquitine etc.).

However, I for one am interested to see how this technology develops over the coming years. I honestly cannot see the point in anyone smoking traditional cigarettes now e-cigs are available. The smoking sensation is the same, if not more enjoyable (cleaner, no odour, no staining, no tar) and it is far cheaper.

Snus!

The thing that turns me off ecigs is the dependence on battery, factory made cartridges, and general electronic gubbins.

Give me a nicotine delivery substitute that:

a) is a natural product (more natural than cigarettes for example)

b) blows cigarettes out of the water in terms of nicotine content.

c) works in the shower, the board meeting, the gunpowder warehouse.

d) require no hands to operate.

The future's bright, the future is Snus.

Swedish male lung cancer rates are 30% below the European average.

I recently invested in an electronic cigarette. I wasn't what you'd call a heavy smoker, but I do enjoy the effects of nicotine and the smoking sensation in general...

Why not use an inhalator to get your nicotine? You can get them for the cost of a prescription from your doctor. I used one to give up smoking and I was amazed by the freedom it gave me to 'smoke' everywhere. I could get my nicotine hit in restaurants, bars, cinemas, inflight and all those other places where cigarette smoking is now banned.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/248509/scitech/technology/report-e-cigarette-blows-up-in-man-s-mouth

Don't forget about more awareness on the possible dangers of smoking an e-cigarette.

One freak incident. You'll have to do better than that. We don't even know if he was using it correctly or if he had modded it.

And yes, there should be more awareness on the dangers of using e-cigs, but we need a bit of perspective at the same time.

Why not use an inhalator to get your nicotine? You can get them for the cost of a prescription from your doctor. I used one to give up smoking and I was amazed by the freedom it gave me to 'smoke' everywhere. I could get my nicotine hit in restaurants, bars, cinemas, inflight and all those other places where cigarette smoking is now banned.

Because inhalators don't give me the full sensation of smoking, which I enjoy. It sounds daft but I like the throat hit with the nicotine hit and seeing the "smoke" as I exhale. Plus, you don't get the choice of flavours with an inhalator. You can smoke an e-cig in all those places you mentioned.

If you want to quit nicotine, then by all means, but for those of us who enjoy smoking e-cigs are the best alternative IMO.

Archived