Ultimately, a child's education is more important than a holiday

Tony

A child's education is more important than a holiday  

96 members have voted

1. 1. A child's education is more important than a holiday

Can't be bothered to read 7 pages of SF bickering (after scanning the last few posts on this page)... but...

I agree with taking them out, I think 10 days maximum (2 weeks) per year is good, all I would say is that it shouldn't be during the 'important' stuff such as exams (for older kids). And only if attendance is good which is what my eldest's current school base it on, and they have allowed me to take her out 2 years in a row in September- however those were special circumstances- our Honeymoon the first time (took the kids) and last year I couldn't have ANY time off during the main holidays due to placement. Yes I understand the stupid costs of holidays anywhere is due to supply/demand but it really takes the P*** when the cost is SO much more than for that same holiday a week or two earlier/later (not in school holiday time).

I priced a few things up for this year- both for August and Sept. One of my LO's will be starting Infants in Sept, the other moving up to Juniors (separate school). The youngest could have a 'staggered' start date so not missing any school, the eldest's (soon to be) new school said she could have that week in Sept off (meaning she would start, be there 3 days, then have a week off). But that the policy is 'meant to be changing'. Meaning I guess this Sept would be the last time they would grant that time off. Now, I was torn but at the end of the day I know my child, she is easily adaptable, the new class will be made up of mainly children she schools with now and she would be fine. Not the best time to take her out I agree but she's done it before and been fine. She is still only young. But comparing prices abroad (original plan) from one month to another is a huge difference. And I even looked at 4 nights in Butlins- nowhere near the same type of length of holiday but as an example- when I checked, a 'Standard' apartment for a Mon-Fri stay at Butlins in August for us would cost over £800. For a Mon-Fri stay in Sept, exactly 4 weeks later, it was less than £270 for a 'Gold' apartment. It's totally disgusting!

In the end, I have decided to (try) and save for a nice holiday abroad next summer (during school holidays). But if I had the time to save or money ready to go in September and the schools were OK with that, then I would go, no doubt.

Sounds as if that will be a thing of the past now, it's a shame as so many families can't afford holidays during the school holidays. I believe holidays with families are good for children although- especially when they are young- a simple few days camping or a couple of nights away can be just as good as lots of fancy holidays in a year. It would be nice for more of us to have the money to go away during July/August/ other schools holidays.

A family doesn't only consist of children. Parents need a break too and as I said in an earlier post hard working parents aren't always able to take their holidays during the school holidays. So long as the present system isn't abused I see no harm in leaving things as they are.

Early September usually has very good weather, being the back end of summer. And holiday costs are much cheaper when the kids are back at school.

I was being a bit flippant, I'm planning a Sept week away myself since me and the OT are busy until mid July and want to avoid the school holidays ourselves.

I was simply trying to understand your anecdote that was sadly lacking in any detail, whilst also sharing my own anecdote. I'm sorry if engaging in debate with you upsets you for some reason. Perhaps for your mental health you should avoid using a forum where someone might not immediately agree with you or might even speculate or ask you questions.

The anecdote had just the right amount of information required to get the point across. What else did you need? A full statistical breakdown of friendships formed, including times and dates?

When did I say I was upset? Confused about your ramblings, yes.

Suspicious that you're not as dim or unable to assimilate information as your posts would suggest, maybe.

Upset, definitely not.

As for my mental health....really? :suspect:

No they didn't. There's a very clear difference between taking a child out of school at the end of term when nothing new is being taught, and taking a child out of school at the start of term when new things are being introduced. A point I was making and which you've been ignoring.

You seemed upset, upset and angry. Maybe you just come across that way when you've become confused.

No they didn't. There's a very clear difference between taking a child out of school at the end of term when nothing new is being taught, and taking a child out of school at the start of term when new things are being introduced. A point I was making and which you've been ignoring.

You seemed upset, upset and angry. Maybe you just come across that way when you've become confused.

Aw, bless you. thanks for your concern. Unfortunately, it was your poorly worded and badly constructed posts that caused the confusion in the first place. Now you've had a moment of clarity and actually said what you meant instead of rambling on I can get back to normality. I was starting to feel like a special needs teacher there for a moment. I have to admit, all your hissing and spitting was a bit off-putting but hey, good for you, you got there in the end.

:clap:

Archived