Ultimately, a child's education is more important than a holiday

Tony

A child's education is more important than a holiday  

96 members have voted

1. 1. A child's education is more important than a holiday

If you add up inset days, teacher training days, strike days my child has more then 5 days annually off school, not to mention the none educational day trips & even the residential trips - the school is allowed to take my child away during term time so why can't I?

Kids belong in school.

We only went away when school was out.. It was expensive, but my parents scrimped and saved for at least a year before the trip was planned as it was really expensive to travel when school was out. If this meant one less take away in the week or one less trip to the movies it was worth it for a week or two away somewhere else. It also made those trips special as they werent always expected to happen.

Going away isnt a right, its a privilege you save up to have and then really savour and enjoy. If youve saved and cant afford for this year, it only means you have more to put into the pot for next time

The Department For Education is proposing a ban on taking the children out of school in term time. Headteachers will no longer be able to authorise absence.

"Ultimately, a child's education is more important than a holiday" says the general secretary of the National Association of Headteachers in today's Times.

Do you agree?

No, I don't. If education was fit for purpose I might agree but it isn't.

Frankly, in Sheffield, some schools are so bad that kids will learn more on a holiday than they will in school. Some schools would benefit from having certain kids out of school during term time.

Head teachers are turning out generations of kids barely able to read and write. I think they should have better things to worry about.

Education is just another one of those broken public services that costs the earth, delivers nightsoil and is one way traffic as far as changing the rules is concerned. How about the head teachers making it a rule that they make sure everyone who comes out of school can read and write and add up?

I think it's down to the parents and the holiday destination. Surely there is some educational value in going to a foreign country and experiencing a foreign culture, maybe historical sites. Cramming them in a caravan in skeggy might not be able to offer the same thing.

Basically do it on a case by case basis, there isn't a catch all.

I think it's down to the parents and the holiday destination. Surely there is some educational value in going to a foreign country and experiencing a foreign culture, maybe historical sites. Cramming them in a caravan in skeggy might not be able to offer the same thing.

But that would be a common sense approach. Common sense has no place in education. It's all about slavish adherence to centralised policy.

Surely there is some educational value in going to a foreign country and experiencing a foreign culture, maybe historical sites. Cramming them in a caravan in skeggy might not be able to offer the same thing.

Does the inside of an all inclusive high rise hotel with a couple of nights in the John Bull English Pub in Benidorm count?

I'm all for a broad horizons, but how many really do experience anything more than a sun lounger?

Does the inside of an all inclusive high rise with a couple of nights in the John Bull English Pub in Benidorm count?

I'm all for a broad horizons, but how many really do experience anything than a sun lounger?

No better than skeggy really. But there are hundreds of historical sites/museums with striking distance of popular holiday destinations, perhaps if an intinary is supplied they could go.

Mind you, there are no doubt interesting/educational places within 45mins of skeg Vegas.

Hoisted on my own petard !!

Archived