Old Jack Wood on Club Mill Lane

old tup

Back in the 50s I went to Hillfoot County School which was a fair trek from our cottage on Liversey St.We lived a fair distance from any ammenities shops,schools ect.,we had no car so it was shanks pony everywhere we went.My route to school was down our field to the footbridge over the River Don past the Power Station down Club Mill Lane,just past The Old Park Silver Mill on a bend was a small bungalow where an old couple lived Jack Wood was a familiar figure to us kids as some of the little scroats would taunt and torment him as he was a bit grouchy with us always telling us to "Bugger off you little sods"every time he saw us.I bet it used to be a lovely place years before but at this time a massive tip behind it had encroached right behind and high above it hemming it in.They must have been in their 70s then I often think about what became of this old couple remembered from my time as a young child over 60yrs ago!!:love::)

Back in the 50s I went to Hillfoot County School which was a fair trek from our cottage on Liversey St.We lived a fair distance from any ammenities shops,schools ect.,we had no car so it was shanks pony everywhere we went.My route to school was down our field to the footbridge over the River Don past the Power Station down Club Mill Lane,just past The Old Park Silver Mill on a bend was a small bungalow where an old couple lived Jack Wood was a familiar figure to us kids as some of the little scroats would taunt and torment him as he was a bit grouchy with us always telling us to "Bugger off you little sods"every time he saw us.I bet it used to be a lovely place years before but at this time a massive tip behind it had encroached right behind and high above it hemming it in.They must have been in their 70s then I often think about what became of this old couple remembered from my time as a young child over 60yrs ago!!:love::)

1925 directory,

188 Club Mill Road

Arthur Wood, carter.

He was there some time wasn't he, think they went mid sixties.

1925 directory,

188 Club Mill Road

Arthur Wood, carter.

He was there some time wasn't he, think they went mid sixties.

Nar then Retep wo thar one of them little scroats that tormented owd Jack Woods I bet tha war thee and owd Askem and all the Springs scroats!!:roll::rolleyes::hihi::hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

Send you a pic of him and his cottage.

Archived