Child friendly pubs/restaurants near S6

_daisy_

I would actually like to find a pub or restaurant that isn't child friendly. Just one. Try finding one anywhere at all in the country - they don't exist. I would like to be able to go out for a meal confident that my evening won't be spoiled. I can't, so I don't.

I've endured children behaving badly at Ego, Casanova, The Wheatsheaf, Jannah, the Admiral Rodney and others too numerous to mention. In the end I've stopped going out for meals altogether.

So, in answer to the OPs original enquiry - every single damned restaurant and pub any where you care to mention is child-friendly. There is nowhere where you can guarantee to have a relaxed, grown-up evening with partner or friends. Absolutely nowhere.

I would actually like to find a pub or restaurant that isn't child friendly. Just one. Try finding one anywhere at all in the country - they don't exist. I would like to be able to go out for a meal confident that my evening won't be spoiled. I can't, so I don't.

I've endured children behaving badly at Ego, Casanova, The Wheatsheaf, Jannah, the Admiral Rodney and others too numerous to mention. In the end I've stopped going out for meals altogether.

So, in answer to the OPs original enquiry - every single damned restaurant and pub any where you care to mention is child-friendly. There is nowhere where you can guarantee to have a relaxed, grown-up evening with partner or friends. Absolutely nowhere.

I appreciate your comments (and when I had no kids I do understand how you feel because they used to drive me nuts in fact they still do when they are not behaving) but surely you would agree thats its nice to take your kids out for a meal once in a while as long as theres some kind of discipline from there parents.

I appreciate your comments (and when I had no kids I do understand how you feel because they used to drive me nuts in fact they still do when they are not behaving) but surely you would agree thats its nice to take your kids out for a meal once in a while as long as theres some kind of discipline from there parents.

Yes, Trev, of course it's good to take your children out with you and to teach them how to behave in a restaurant. But for every well-behaved child there is a child whose parents show no consideration for anyone else. The problem is that you can't guarantee that the restaurant you choose to eat at will only have well-behaved children there when you visit. I've sat in a gorgeous pub in Suffolk at 9 pm on a weekday evening when a family with 2 adults, 2 children and a 6 month-ish old baby came in and completely disrupted our meal. The children ran around, the parents talked at the top of their voices, they moved tables together and the baby started screaming. Marvellous. We aksed the waitress to take our food into the public bar and there we sat for the rest of the evening.

An hour later, the father strode in, stared at us, tutted loudly and walked out. So it was our fault for moving away from his noisy family, not his for bringing young children who couldn't behave and a baby who screamed into a pub at 9pm.

My rather rambling point is that I won't take chances like the above. Why should I take the risk of paying for a meal and have my evening ruined? Let the families have the pubs and restaurants and those of us who like to enjoy good food in pleasant surroundings will simply stay at home.

• 4 months later...

Just because they let children in doesn't mean they're child-friendly. There's a big difference. Same result for you, of course. That is a shame. Nowt worse than idiotic parents who think other people are duty bound to happily tolerate their 'free-spirited' (i.e. poorly mannered) children.

The Robin Hood pub on Abbeydale Road used to be anti-children.

I tried to take my family in there six years ago with my first child who was about three months old and asleep. Six adults, one sleeping baby, midweek lunchtime, no one else in. They wouldn't serve us. Sounds ideal for you. Unfortunately, I see even they have caved in to market forces and now have a children's menu, etc. Quite obviously, I have never been back and will never do so.

Lots of pubs (rather than restaurants, unfortunately) have signs up now saying that children must be off the premises by 8/9pm. So, if they're upholding their own rules, the picture might not be as bad as you once found it. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

lighten up all of you

just remeber how you all used to run around when you were a little child

i have a son who is 2 yrs old. when we fisrt started taking him with us when we had a meal, he wanted to run everywhere and not sit in his high chair and want to wriggle and run everywhere. now he will sit still for long periods,is well behaved and eat his meal.

youngsters are inquisitive, and have a sense of adventure

i think foul language and rowdy behaviour, spoils my meal, rather than any children ever have

lighten up all of you

just remeber how you all used to run around when you were a little child

i have a son who is 2 yrs old. when we fisrt started taking him with us when we had a meal, he wanted to run everywhere and not sit in his high chair and want to wriggle and run everywhere. now he will sit still for long periods,is well behaved and eat his meal.

youngsters are inquisitive, and have a sense of adventure

i think foul language and rowdy behaviour, spoils my meal, rather than any children ever have

Did you let him? Or did you allow others to have a nice meal ?

Did you let him? Or did you allow others to have a nice meal ?

scenario - a little child is running around in a pub where children are allowed, not hurting anything or banging into people, just a giddy kid. youve ordered a steak and its tough as old boots. would you blame the child running around for spoiling your meal or the person who cooked your steak?

scenario - a little child is running around in a pub where children are allowed, not hurting anything or banging into people, just a giddy kid. youve ordered a steak and its tough as old boots. would you blame the child running around for spoiling your meal or the person who cooked your steak?

Scenario - the steak is great. Tell the kid to sit down. If s/he can't or won't, then leave (unless the steak is being served, for some reason, in a play area or one of those pubs with a play area attached).

Come back when the kids can sit down during a meal and not spoil it for others by being giddy - which is totally understandable, by the way.

And I speak as the parent of two infants.

Archived