Stop workfare join today

Anti-workfare activists yesterday shut down a McDonalds and HMV stores on Oxford Street, London, using entirely peaceful civil disobediance measures to express their protest and outrage against exploitation.

Can I just ask, where were these protesters in 1998 when this exploitation started?

Can they only think, when they have facebook, mobiles, and ragmags to tell them what to do?

Partly because in the 'hierarchy of oppressions' benefit issues were well down the priorities of the left, especially after the invasion of Afghanistan etc, even when Purnell brought in his very nasty Welfare Reform Act, many of them were silent..

However, one recalls disabled people did indeed protest chaining themselves to N0 10's gates..

Can I just ask, where were these protesters in 1998 when this exploitation started?

Can they only think, when they have facebook, mobiles, and ragmags to tell them what to do?

Thats a very valid point, even if a little off topic.

More people now have global communication, and realise they are not isolated.

They can see more points of view now than what is fed to them via just TV, Radio etc.

So the answer to your question is probably "yes".

Their share price went up 1.5% yesterday.

Looks to me like it rose to 316.58 on Friday, however its still down from the Wednesday highest price of 323.20 and substantially down on the 3 month high of 411.25 on the 3rd Jan.

Small day to day fluctuations in share price don't really mean a great deal but if I was going looking to invest on the stock market I think I'd give TESCO a wide birth at the moment.

Seems like a fair deal to do a little work then receive "dole" money. But it should be regulated at the minimum wage level, if you get £60 quid "dole" then your work should be only 10 hours. £6 min wage x 10hrs = your £60 dole. Any more hours and it would be a case of exploitation.

Angel.

Seems like a fair deal to do a little work then receive "dole" money. But it should be regulated at the minimum wage level, if you get £60 quid "dole" then your work should be only 10 hours. £6 min wage x 10hrs = your £60 dole. Any more hours and it would be a case of exploitation.

Angel.

Why shouldn't companies pay for their own staff? What happens to the people already paid to do these jobs?

Thats a very valid point, even if a little off topic.

More people now have global communication, and realise they are not isolated.

They can see more points of view now than what is fed to them via just TV, Radio etc.

So the answer to your question is probably "yes".

weve had protests and disobedience through history, the 80s going into the 90s was a major time for it, we didnt have mobiles and the internet and twitter back then either

Anti-workfare activists yesterday shut down a McDonalds and HMV stores on Oxford Street, London, using entirely peaceful civil disobediance measures to express their protest and outrage against exploitation.

McDonalds have been given until Wednesday to withdraw from Workfare or that evening will see protestors closing McDonalds stores across the country!

If McDonalds and HMV don't believe that all workers in their stores are entitled to be paid at least the national minimum wage then they should expect protestors on their doorsteps soon!

I can't wait for that to happen, I will be going for a Macdonads every day after that for my meals.

For some strange reason, I can't see any of the protesters stopping me from getting in there.

I truly do hope they try though :D

Archived