Should i inform the police ??

Statutory rape is either when one party is under 12 or under 13, I can't remember which. In this case, the other person would be arrested and charged with rape no matter what the circumstances or if it was consensual. Unlawful intercourse is different, or, as I said in an earlier post, half of the male teenage population would be locked up for rape.

Statutory rape is either when one party is under 12 or under 13, I can't remember which. In this case, the other person would be arrested and charged with rape no matter what the circumstances or if it was consensual. Unlawful intercourse is different, or, as I said in an earlier post, half of the male teenage population would be locked up for rape.

As I said in another thread, I don't think the UK has "Statutory Rape" on the books.

There is a crime where someone has sexual intercourse with a girl of under 13 years of age, as they are deemed incapable, under 13, of giving their consent to it. Then there's another type of charge when the child is 13-16. (and depending on the age of the other party, there are differing levels of charges brought, for example if they are also under 16)

There's also a charge that can be raised against someone when the child in question is under 18 years old, and the person having sex with them is in a position of authority over the child, such as a care worker, or a teacher.

As I said in another thread, I don't think the UK has "Statutory Rape" on the books.

There is a crime where someone has sexual intercourse with a girl of under 13 years of age, as they are deemed incapable, under 13, of giving their consent to it. Then there's another type of charge when the child is 13-16. (and depending on the age of the other party, there are differing levels of charges brought, for example if they are also under 16)

There's also a charge that can be raised against someone when the child in question is under 18 years old, and the person having sex with them is in a position of authority over the child, such as a care worker, or a teacher.

I know its not much to go on :hihi: But I do remember watching The Bill a few years back, and a young girl (who was 12 or 13) had tricked an older man, in his late 20s, into thinking she was 18, and they were having a relationship. Something happened, it got found out, and he got reported, he was horrified and co-operated fully, blah blah, then it came about that they had been having sex since before her last birthday, which meant they had to charge him with 'statutory rape', even though it was clear she had been fully consensual, and had tricked him.

Code for Crown Prosecutors - Considerations

The public interest requires the prosecution of an offence of unlawful sexual intercourse with a girl under 13 unless exceptional circumstances exist.

You may exercise considerable discretion in relation to offences under section 6 of the Act.

The age of the defendant will be highly relevant. Even if the defendant is over 24, a prosecution may not be in the public interest if he had reasonable cause for believing that the girl was over 16.

The following factors will also be relevant:

the relevant ages of the parties;

the emotional maturity of the girl and whether she entered into a sexual relationship willingly;

the relationship between the parties and whether there was an existence of a duty of care or breach of trust (refer to the section on Abuse of Trust in Sexual Offences Act 2003, elsewhere in Legal Guidance).

In summary, a man who is considerably older that the girl is likely to be prosecuted, especially if he owed her a duty of care; whereas it may not be necessary to prosecute a young man with whom the girl has been having a consensual relationship.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sexual_offences_unlawful_sexual_intercourse/

Archived