Should i inform the police ??

yes, i have but she's seen him at the explorers for the last 3 weeks as well as others, having a laugh and doing whatever explorers do, then gone on a trip with them which i believed all the kids to be of the same age, early teens, not late teens, and i didnt know they would be sleeping under the same roof unsupervised on the trip,

The Explorers is for teens aged 14.5 to 18 so really you should not have even let your daughter join and they should not have accepted her as a member unless she has lied about her age.

The group leaders need to know that their supervision is somewhat lacking although I doubt that the sleeping arrangements were mixed sex as that'd just be asking for trouble.

If you don't alert them then i imagine you'll feel rreally bad if in a years time a friend of your daughters at a similar age becomes another under age mum.

Yes, you are over reacting.

Lets be honest here (although it will upset the hand wringers) 17 years old is hardly 'Dirty old man' territory, 17 is barely 'adult' and i doubt he can even shave yet. As a father of a daughter myself, i share your concerns but you are suggesting legal action against what can only be described as a 'boy' and by the sounds of it, your daughter was consenting in her part. I appreciate you think this 'man' is too old for your daughter but when he is 75, your daughter will be 72.. is that too much of an age gap?

Personally, i would invite the lad over 'For tea' as your daughters 'guest' and take the opportunity to get to know the boy a bit, voice your concerns and lay down some ground rules. I would however inform the explorers 'leaders' that this incident has happened and suggest better supervision of their groups in future.

Why all the talk about "lax supervision" of the leaders when the "parents" have let an underage girl join the group in the first place, surely their "supervision" needs some attention.

I agree... although i would suggest that 'underage' or not, the groups leaders should be more aware of the situation at hand. OK, the girl is 'underage' but is that reason to turn a blind eye? Even if she was 14.5,15,16, or 37.. the groups leaders should be accountable to a degree for managing the groups conduct.

Although there is reason for some concern, i believe that the parents should consider how they were at 14,15,17 etc and deal with the situation from that perspective.

I went on a trip in year 8 at school, would have been 12, maybe 13 at the time, think we went to Thornbridge.

The boys were upstairs, we were downstairs. However, at night, once everyone was alseep, there was nothing to stop us sneaking upstairs, and them coming down quite easily.

I agree... although i would suggest that 'underage' or not, the groups leaders should be more aware of the situation at hand. OK, the girl is 'underage' but is that reason to turn a blind eye? Even if she was 14.5,15,16, or 37.. the groups leaders should be accountable to a degree for managing the groups conduct.

Although there is reason for some concern, i believe that the parents should consider how they were at 14,15,17 etc and deal with the situation from that perspective.

And if the leaders were under the impression the girl was of age?

Archived