Should i inform the police ??

No I don't think you should call the police. This is a good opportunity for you to speak openly with your daughter about emotions, relationships, contraception (yes because with the best will in the world it will come up in the next few years) and her boundaries.

You are very privileged that your daughter has confided in you - stay calm and don't over react so you can keep communication open and she can trust you to confide in future. If you are angry, over react etc she may decide not to tell you something important.

Good luck because it's a tough one, but she is talking to you and while ever she is talking and listening to you, I'm sure you can sort it out. Far better that she seeks your advice than her peers.

Speak to your daughter. Speak to the leaders (better still, speak to their District Commissioner, who should've authorised the trip.)

If you are dissatisfied with the supervision, have you considered becoming a leader yourself? - I'm sure they would welcome additional responsible adult volunteers.

No I don't think you should call the police. This is a good opportunity for you to speak openly with your daughter about emotions, relationships, contraception (yes because with the best will in the world it will come up in the next few years) and her boundaries.

You are very privileged that your daughter has confided in you - stay calm and don't over react so you can keep communication open and she can trust you to confide in future. If you are angry, over react etc she may decide not to tell you something important.

Good luck because it's a tough one, but she is talking to you and while ever she is talking and listening to you, I'm sure you can sort it out. Far better that she seeks your advice than her peers.

What an excellent post.

To add to the fantastic advice above, if it was my daughter, I would probably ask my daughter how she felt about what had happened, and explain the options available to us both, and ask her if she felt that any particular course of action was appropriate/not appropriate, and respect her wishes.

Why blame the boy!

His maturity is probably on parr with the 14 year old girl.

He might be a really sweet boy and they had a kiss and cuddle...so get him a criminal record and make his life hell???????????

Can nobody remember what being a teenager is?

Not all teenage boys are lowlife scum....

Haev you considered what the outcome might be for your daughter if you kick up a fuss?

At the age of 14, it's highly likely that a fair number of her friends - and it could well be more than half of them - are no longer virgins. If they find out that her parents made an official complaint because of "kissing and cuddling" she may well find herself ostracised for the next four years.

Yes, you are over reacting.

Lets be honest here (although it will upset the hand wringers) 17 years old is hardly 'Dirty old man' territory, 17 is barely 'adult' and i doubt he can even shave yet. As a father of a daughter myself, i share your concerns but you are suggesting legal action against what can only be described as a 'boy' and by the sounds of it, your daughter was consenting in her part. I appreciate you think this 'man' is too old for your daughter but when he is 75, your daughter will be 72.. is that too much of an age gap?

Personally, i would invite the lad over 'For tea' as your daughters 'guest' and take the opportunity to get to know the boy a bit, voice your concerns and lay down some ground rules. I would however inform the explorers 'leaders' that this incident has happened and suggest better supervision of their groups in future.

Spot on! - couldn't agree more!

Another good post, and very sensible.

Archived