Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

I used to have an LPG van and fuel was 31p a litre. Now it's 90p. I have tried bio diesel but the outlay is expensive and it can be lethal if you breath in the chemicals too much so that's a no no.

I'll walk and take the tram when I can't be bothered to.

I used to have an LPG van and fuel was 31p a litre. Now it's 90p. I have tried bio diesel but the outlay is expensive and it can be lethal if you breath in the chemicals too much so that's a no no.

I'll walk and take the tram when I can't be bothered to.

That's where I'm at - if we move the tram becomes an option for visiting family in Sheffield, and I can cycle to work. We could even sell one of the cars, which will only add to the savings (he says having just taxed one of them and been surprised it had gone up since the bloomin' letter was printed!) and not having £1,000 of car insurance to pay in January can only be a good thing.

Quite looking forward to getting fit, saving cash, living in a nicer area, and driving only for pleasure again!

I don't see what the big deal is. Although I have an 80 litre petrol tank in the car, another 5p a litre only means £4 - what's that, the price of a beer ? :confused:

It used to be under a quid a litre (only a year or so ago), its now around the 115p range, so that if you are saying that it is £4 per 5p, then we are now talking around £12/£15. So the person saying that it used to cost £25 and now £40 is about right.

Fuel is getting more expensive. That's what happens when a commodity gets more scarce, so the more we burn, the more expensive it gets.

You can complain that there is too much tax all you like, and join as many facebook groups trying to boycott one chain or another as you want, but it isn't going to change the fact that the underlying price of fuel is going up.

It isn't though is it. The price of the raw material, oil, is no higher than it was several years ago, the pump price of petrol is higher.

It's nothing to do with scarcity though, it's market manipulation.

So the question is, what are you going to do about it? In the short term I think most people have just absorbed the cost, but costs are rising so quickly that it cannot continue, surely? I've already started to use the car less and I now drive in a more fuel efficient manner- - my driving style has changed from 'how quickly can I get there' to 'how efficiently can I get theere'

It's now at the point where it would save us money to rent out our house and rent another house nearer to work, rather than pay for petrol to commute - and even if interest rates went up again it'd only be marginally more expensive to sell our house and rent nearer work.

So how have higher fuel prices affected you?

Maybe I'll have to charge more, I did just buy a car with a bigger engine though, and I had to accept higher running costs when I decided to do that.

If you live that far from work and you expect to work there for a good length of time then it would make sense not to rent, but to move. My work location changes regularly though, so I'll just have to suck it up.

It used to be under a quid a litre (only a year or so ago), its now around the 115p range, so that if you are saying that it is £4 per 5p, then we are now talking around £12/£15. So the person saying that it used to cost £25 and now £40 is about right.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this....£40 is more than 50% greater then £25... has petrol gone up that much? Using your figures that means that a year or so ago it was 76p a litre? Or have I got it totally wrong..?

It isn't though is it. The price of the raw material, oil, is no higher than it was several years ago, the pump price of petrol is higher.

It's nothing to do with scarcity though, it's market manipulation.

Maybe I'll have to charge more, I did just buy a car with a bigger engine though, and I had to accept higher running costs when I decided to do that.

If you live that far from work and you expect to work there for a good length of time then it would make sense not to rent, but to move. My work location changes regularly though, so I'll just have to suck it up.

Wanna borrow the hose pipe when i'v done with it ? :D

Archived