Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

Its ok people trying to get us to leave the car at home but for instance a weekly travel pass costs just over £12, my car costs me £6 a week so it is not cost affective to not use it. Prices go up at the pumps which affects bus fares so until bus prises come down it's the car for me

Its ok people trying to get us to leave the car at home but for instance a weekly travel pass costs just over £12, my car costs me £6 a week so it is not cost affective to not use it. Prices go up at the pumps which affects bus fares so until bus prises come down it's the car for me

I assume you don't pay insurance or road tax then..?

It isn't though is it. The price of the raw material, oil, is no higher than it was several years ago, the pump price of petrol is higher.

It's nothing to do with scarcity though, it's market manipulation.

Maybe I'll have to charge more, I did just buy a car with a bigger engine though, and I had to accept higher running costs when I decided to do that.

If you live that far from work and you expect to work there for a good length of time then it would make sense not to rent, but to move. My work location changes regularly though, so I'll just have to suck it up.

If the price of a barrel of crude has stayed the same despite a diminishing supply and an increase in demand, then the market really has been manipulated. It's getting more expensive. The underlying economics mean that it will continue to get more expensive. There is no getting away from that.

I live a fair distance from work, and probably won't change work location for a while. As I'm self employed and don't have enough years accounts to get a mortgage at the moment (ah, the days of just making up a number and self-certifying - will they ever return?) then renting is my only option if I want to live closer, but yes, buying would probably make more sense if it were an option.

I assume you don't pay insurance or road tax then..?

There will always be someone to get anal lol

Well ok take insurance and road tax of £380 then mot £45 per year I would end up bout £60 down 'BIG DEAL' for the freedome of not waiting at a bus stop in the cold and not having to walk miles to the bus stop I think it's worth £1.30 a week don't you!!!

There will always be someone to get anal lol

Well ok take insurance and road tax of £380 then mot £45 per year I would end up bout £60 down 'BIG DEAL' for the freedome of not waiting at a bus stop in the cold and not having to walk miles to the bus stop I think it's worth £1.30 a week don't you!!!

Oh yes I'm not arguing with the principle...I can't remember the last time I used a bus..

Fuel is getting more expensive. That's what happens when a commodity gets more scarce, so the more we burn, the more expensive it gets.

You can complain that there is too much tax all you like, and join as many facebook groups trying to boycott one chain or another as you want, but it isn't going to change the fact that the underlying price of fuel is going up.

So the question is, what are you going to do about it? In the short term I think most people have just absorbed the cost, but costs are rising so quickly that it cannot continue, surely? I've already started to use the car less and I now drive in a more fuel efficient manner- - my driving style has changed from 'how quickly can I get there' to 'how efficiently can I get theere'

It's now at the point where it would save us money to rent out our house and rent another house nearer to work, rather than pay for petrol to commute - and even if interest rates went up again it'd only be marginally more expensive to sell our house and rent nearer work.

So how have higher fuel prices affected you?

I'm not going to do anything about it

It isn't though is it. The price of the raw material, oil, is no higher than it was several years ago, the pump price of petrol is higher.

It's nothing to do with scarcity though, it's market manipulation.

Damn! I agree with this. Damn! Damn! Damn!

That's it - booked myself in for another labotomy.

Isn't most of the cost of fuel government taxation (esp green tax)?

Archived