Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

And insurance, tax on the insurance, taxes on the initial purchase of vehicles (new anyway) and probably VAT if buying 2nd hand from a dealer, taxes on services/repairs, tax on parts, tax on fuel ...

What about the motorist who leaves the car at home and cycles to work? Does he get a discount?

VED is emissions based so cyclists pay the same as any other vehicle in that class. Upkeep of highways is funded through general taxation, not road tax, or Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) as it’s properly termed. Not to mention the positive health and environmental effects of cycling, meaning less pressure on the NHS. Cars cause road wear, bicycles don't. Road tax is also linked to the emissions of a vehicle, which of course bicycles don't make. Bicycles also take up minimal space on the roadway and have a minimal effect on congestion. This is why bicycles don't pay road tax and nor should they have to.

SpinDrift - I have no desire to force cyclists to pay road tax/VED/whatever you want to call such a duty.

I was just adding to the discussion that motorists pay a lot more into the central pot than just that tax you (motorists) have to pay to display the legally required little disc. Taxes that will be used for all sorts of things that cyclists also benefit from (ie anything that central government pays for).

We are all very aware of health benefits of cycling and other benefits you mention.

SpinDrift - I have no desire to force cyclists to pay road tax/VED/whatever you want to call such a duty.

I was just adding to the discussion that motorists pay a lot more into the central pot than just that tax you (motorists) have to pay to display the legally required little disc. Taxes that will be used for all sorts of things that cyclists also benefit from (ie anything that central government pays for).

I would add that the external costs of motoring far outweigh the entire tax revenues motorists pay.

For instance if you add up all the parking costs for vehicles it doesn't even pay for the damage motorists do when they park on pavements.

it's lower than the cost in Europe once you factor in road tolls, which we are going to have soon. Get used to it and stop whining.

I'm sorry your mental impediment leads you to confuse expressing an opinion with noises made by a dog. Have you considered seeking some help for your disorder?

I would add that the external costs of motoring far outweigh the entire tax revenues motorists pay.

For instance if you add up all the parking costs for vehicles it doesn't even pay for the damage motorists do when they park on pavements.

I would content that parking on pavements is bad practice anyway, regardless of cost.

Not convinced that many pavements are destroyed by cars each year that is outweighs all the tax coming in from motorists.

I would content that parking on pavements is bad practice anyway, regardless of cost.

Not convinced that many pavements are destroyed by cars each year that is outweighs all the tax coming in from motorists.

All the external costs do outweigh the entire fiscal contribution of motorists.

Think about the cost to the police and NHS of RTCs...

The cost of subsidies to the motoring industry, the huge expense of repairing the roads, clearing up the pollution, the early deaths caused by pollution, every road death is estimated to cost £1m and there are 3000 every year...

The cost of subsidies to the motoring industry, the huge expense of repairing the roads, clearing up the pollution, the early deaths caused by pollution, every road death is estimated to cost £1m and there are 3000 every year...

So you think the solution is to pass the costs on to the Police, NHS and other essential services (such as the distribution of food) through a blanket increase in fuel which profits the same oil producers/distributors who also have massive interests in the very automotive industry you are complaining of?

There is a good case that society would function just as well with less vehicles on the road and using less fuel, but if you think increased profits for global corporations and oppresiive OPEC regimes is where the solution lies, you haven't really thought it through.

On the costs of RTCs, there are plenty of cyclists involved in RTCs (blame can be either way, we've all seen bad driving from both groups of road users). So blaming motorists entirely for those costs is a rather one-sided view IMO.

Anyway, deviating from topic somewhat now so I'll leave it for another thread ;)

Archived