Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

It's the other way round.

Take a cyclist who owns a car as many do. If they choose to cycle, should they get a refund of the VED and a refund from the other drivers whose journey is less congested?

So ,again using your logic .

If i owned two vehicles , i should be able to use on one the road without paying VED ,as i have paid it on my other vehicle ?

IE, the same as a cyclist who also owns a car and has paid VED on his car.

TAX , INSURENCE , TEST

All costs incured by motorists to be able to use the roads legally - NONE of which are paid by free loading cyclists.

So ,again using your logic .

If i owned two vehicles , i should be able to use on one the road without paying VED ,as i have paid it on my other vehicle ?

IE, the same as a cyclist who also owns a car and has paid VED on his car.

TAX , INSURENCE , TEST

All costs incured by motorists to be able to use the roads legally - NONE of which are paid by free loading cyclists.

lardyboy, why do you think cyclists don't [pay tax?

I'm willing to bet my tax bill is higher than yours, does that give me more rights on the road?

Does that mean millionaires get special Golden Traffic Lanes free of all other traffic, and people on the dole have to walk?

Think about what you are saying, there is no heirarchy on the roads based on income or fiscal burden.

Also, why are you maintaining that no cyclists own cars?

You must have missed my question, if a driver leaves their car at home and cycles, do they get a refund?

Stop categorising people based on their mode of transport, we are all pedestrians, motorists , or cyclists, we don't deserve fewer rights based on the mode of transport we choose.

You must have missed my question, if a driver leaves their car at home and cycles, do they get a refund?

NO, and nor should they .

They are still using the public roads , albeit whatever form of transport they are using ( cycle or car).

So why should they get a refund .

EVERY vehicle using the roads , apart from emergency vehicles should pay VED .

They are all using the same stretch of road ,so why should some ( cyclists) be exempt ?

Stop categorising people based on their mode of transport, we are all pedestrians, motorists , or cyclists, we don't deserve fewer rights based on the mode of transport we choose.

No one has said cyclists deserve fewer rights .

The arguement is that cyclists should pay to use the public roads ,the same as any other vehicle that is using them .

You are using the same tarmac as cars , why should cyclists get that for free when everyone else has to pay for the right.

Cyclists dont have to have insurance , licence ,tax, test , yet STILL expect to use the public roads alongside motorists who DO have to pay all of the above.

The reason a lot of motorists dont like cyclists is simply the fact that cyclists expect the same rights as motorists to use public roads , yet want that right for NOTHING.

As i said earlier , the only FREELOADERS on the roads are cyclists.

NO, and nor should they .

They are still using the public roads , albeit whatever form of transport they are using ( cycle or car).

So why should they get a refund .

EVERY vehicle using the roads , apart from emergency vehicles should pay VED .

They are all using the same stretch of road ,so why should some ( cyclists) be exempt ?

lardyboy, what damage do you think a cyclist does when he or she rides down the rode?

Do you think they degrade the road the same as a car does?

No one has said cyclists deserve fewer rights .

The arguement is that cyclists should pay to use the public roads ,the same as any other vehicle that is using them .

You are using the same tarmac as cars , why should cyclists get that for free when everyone else has to pay for the right.

Cyclists dont have to have insurance , licence ,tax, test , yet STILL expect to use the public roads alongside motorists who DO have to pay all of the above.

The reason a lot of motorists dont like cyclists is simply the fact that cyclists expect the same rights as motorists to use public roads , yet want that right for NOTHING.

As i said earlier , the only FREELOADERS on the roads are cyclists.

I agree with you to a point dude, insurance and road safety test. but not tax, the tree huggers do have a point, cyclists dont impact on the condition of the roads.

However, the law that a cyclist can't be prosicuted for causing a vehicle accident should be changed. As a driver, I have witnessed many of the stunts that cyclsts pull from jumping the lights, to cycling between lanes on dual carrage ways. I expect many don't realise how vulnerable they are and how large vehicle blind spots are?

Have you never read the leaflet that comes explaining your council tax?

Have you never read the leaflet that comes explaining your council tax?

Vehicle Excise Duty, or Car Tax is what many people mistakenly think of as “road tax”. It isn’t. It no more pays for the road than the VAT on a Mars bar. Local authorities have maintenance responsibility for the roads. Everyone should know that. Especially Council Tax payers, because it says so on their Council Tax accounts. My Local Authority’s highway maintenance budget for this year accounts for some 6% of the precept. Local Authorities’ get their funding from a combination of Council Tax and a Treasury Grant from general taxation. So, the roads are for everyone. And everyone pays.

If the logic of “user pays” is extended, we’d have pedestrians paying “road tax”, because footways are part of the highway; we’d have the NHS funded by a tax on sick people. The logic just doesn’t work.

Vehicle Excise Duty, or Car Tax is what many people mistakenly think of as “road tax”. It isn’t. It no more pays for the road than the VAT on a Mars bar. Local authorities have maintenance responsibility for the roads. Everyone should know that. Especially Council Tax payers, because it says so on their Council Tax accounts. My Local Authority’s highway maintenance budget for this year accounts for some 6% of the precept. Local Authorities’ get their funding from a combination of Council Tax and a Treasury Grant from general taxation. So, the roads are for everyone. And everyone pays.

If the logic of “user pays” is extended, we’d have pedestrians paying “road tax”, because footways are part of the highway; we’d have the NHS funded by a tax on sick people. The logic just doesn’t work.

I'm well aware of all that. I was just trying highlight that the argument that cyclist don't contribute to the maintenance of the roads is manifestly false as council tax explicitly includes a proportion for that very purpose.

Archived