Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

thats funny, i worked out the exact same thing this morning after i dropped the car off for its full service!

it would cost me £2600 to pay for public transport to and from work (thats just for work as well, no other activities included) for a year, as i'd have to get taxis either to or home from work five days a week due to the hours i work - £10 for taxi and a bus fare a day, 5 days a week.

my car costs me about £1700 i worked out, as i only put about £20 of petrol in every couple of weeks, and it's always sailed through every service and mot. this year was £700 for all the insurance/breakdown/hire car cover/legal cover etc. £125 for a years tax. £168 for todays service and £100 (?) for an mot in a couple of months that i know it will sail through again. it's a really robust little car :D

it's still cheaper to drive for me.....

No taxis for me - the commuter-banger is not very sparing of the old jungle juice though. When I get around to it I'll swap it for something equally banger-tastic but that does a few more mpg and is shorter, which will open up a whole world of smaller parking spaces. I can only hope the new banger is as reliable as the current one has been, otherwise the numbers could get even uglier! The current banger has cost a total of £10 (bulbs) to keep running over 2 years and 35k miles (was previously the main car) I should service it, really.

No taxis for me - the commuter-banger is not very sparing of the old jungle juice though. When I get around to it I'll swap it for something equally banger-tastic but that does a few more mpg and is shorter, which will open up a whole world of smaller parking spaces. I can only hope the new banger is as reliable as the current one has been, otherwise the numbers could get even uglier! The current banger has cost a total of £10 (bulbs) to keep running over 2 years and 35k miles (was previously the main car) I should service it, really.

my costs will probably go down this year as i can walk to work in the mornings now and only drive for the night shifts. and i could probably cut down the breakdown cover (i always buy the type where they'll put you up in a hotel or drive you anywhere in the country...) and it probably doesnt need to be serviced every year as i only do about 5000 miles a year.

.... but im a lone female driver who doesnt fancy getting stranded on top of the m62 at saddleworth moor if anything was to go kaput! not to mention my mother would kill me if that were to happen, so it's worth the money

I didn't think you could get to Norwich from the IOW ... how many days does it take?:hihi:

If you were prepared to live outside the city itself, you might be able to rent a house for a reasonable price. Travelling between work and home at weekeds soon gets old. - I've done it and I don't envy you at all. it's not very good for relationships, unfortunately.

It takes him about 5 hours to get to Norwich and that's including the ferry crossing - so not that bad really!

During the week he house shares with a work colleague.

As for not being good for relationships - we've been doing this for at least six years now and you just get used to it. Also we have found that when we are together we appreciate one another and don't take each other for granted :) - so it does have it plus side.

thats funny, i worked out the exact same thing this morning after i dropped the car off for its full service!

it would cost me £2600 to pay for public transport to and from work (thats just for work as well, no other activities included) for a year, as i'd have to get taxis either to or home from work five days a week due to the hours i work - £10 for taxi and a bus fare a day, 5 days a week.

my car costs me about £1700 i worked out, as i only put about £20 of petrol in every couple of weeks, and it's always sailed through every service and mot. this year was £700 for all the insurance/breakdown/hire car cover/legal cover etc. £125 for a years tax. £168 for todays service and £100 (?) for an mot in a couple of months that i know it will sail through again. it's a really robust little car :D

it's still cheaper to drive for me.....

What car is it? At a guess a Nissan Micra. Best value mini cars on the road.

What car is it? At a guess a Nissan Micra. Best value mini cars on the road.

ford ka.

6 years old and only done about 35,000 miles. well looked after though, full service history and still runs and feels like a new car. i do like the fact that every service and mot nothing ever needs fixing apart from the usual new wipers or replacing bulbs. only problem its ever had was water ingress once, that was a blocked drainage 'thing' from the windscreen, garage fixed it pretty cheaply. its a great little car, i can see it lasting years and years and years! :love:

So you want people to drive a few miles out of way and put £5-£10 worth of fuel

No, just drive smarter. If you're running low and the nearest garage is 5p a litre dearer than the average, put in the minimum until you can get to a cheaper garage and fill up.

Anyone driving out of their way for cheap fuel is a muppet, as is anyone who thinks that what I was suggesting. Maybe when you're old enough to drive you'll see this.

Fuel on the Wirral is quite dear, and in Liverpool, but in Warrington its much cheaper so I fill up when I'm in the area and plan ahead so I'm not forced to pay extra when I'm running low.

I'm not too sure how genuine the prices are on Petrolprices .com ! I Have a Citroen Berlingo Van that is LPG Converted, and in early January the price quoted by them was 62.9 p per litre at Morrisons Catcliffe ! so i goes down, and it's 68.9 p per litre when i get there !

Archived