Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

"ford ka.

6 years old and only done about 35,000 miles. well looked after though, full service history and still runs and feels like a new car. i do like the fact that every service and mot nothing ever needs fixing apart from the usual new wipers or replacing bulbs. only problem its ever had was water ingress once, that was a blocked drainage 'thing' from the windscreen, garage fixed it pretty cheaply. its a great little car, i can see it lasting years and years and years! :love"

Ka's are great vfm and easy little cars to drive. watch the rot though, they rust like mad if you leave them on the sills and floor pan, and the rear arches where the mud traps. we had one for £550 and ran it over 18months before trading it in for £400 :D

spent about £200 on it in that time (mot and repairs) and about £500 in insurance for full 2 yrs. cant beat that , £1k or so for 18months of being able to go where we wanted, when we wanted, with no waiting for cold smelly buses

I recently had an email re petrol prices, and it more or less said don't give in to the increases fight back, then it went on to explain if everyone boycoted Shell and BP and used say the supermarkets, eventually Shell and BP would have to bring their prices down, and in turn so would the supermarkets? Now if this would work I don't know as I don't even drive, but it sort of made a bit of sense to me??

I recently had an email re petrol prices, and it more or less said don't give in to the increases fight back, then it went on to explain if everyone boycoted Shell and BP and used say the supermarkets, eventually Shell and BP would have to bring their prices down, and in turn so would the supermarkets? Now if this would work I don't know as I don't even drive, but it sort of made a bit of sense to me??

Nah, its not Shell or BP or Esso or any of the petrol giants that are robbing us. Its about 50p per litre in the pumps, the Government of the day take the rest in TAX/VAT. I dont think the 50p is rediculous, but the 80 odd pence per litre the government take is a scandal.

Regards

Angel.

If you think petrol is expensive, try this experiment.

Fill your car with 1 gallon of petrol.

Drive as far as the car will take you (remembering to bring along someone who can also drive).

After about 30-35 miles, the car will stop.

Get out and push the car all the way back (with your mate driving).

How long will that take you? How much energy will you use. How much would it cost you to pay 4 or 5 people to push your car those 30-35 miles?

That's how cheap petrol is.

Nah, its not Shell or BP or Esso or any of the petrol giants that are robbing us. Its about 50p per litre in the pumps, the Government of the day take the rest in TAX/VAT. I dont think the 50p is rediculous, but the 80 odd pence per litre the government take is a scandal.

Regards

Angel.

You're right, but there's plenty of people on here who will claim they don't get enough for doing nothing (benefits).

We'll have to pay their bill somehow, better on a consumption tax (that everyone pays) rather than on income tax (which they won't pay).

All we need to do is boycott the two major oil companies ie BP and ESSO, fill up anywhere but these two and just watch what happens.

I'll tell you what will happen, nothing.

Where do you think ASDA, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. get their petrol from? Do you think ASDA has it's own refineries? They get their fuel from the big boys. Such as BP and ESSO.

They (BP and ESSO) make very little on pump sales anyway, so making very little by selling their petrol via ASDA or Tesco rather than their own filling stations won't affect them very much.

If you really want to hurt BP and ESSO, stop using the other products that their oil is turned into, the stuff they do make money on.

Don't fly for the next year

Don't buy anything imported, those ships use diesel that comes from the same companies

Don't buy packaged food (oil derived plastic)

and a few more:

Clothing Ink

Heart Valves

Crayons

Parachutes

Telephones

Enamel

Transparent tape

Antiseptics

Vacuum bottles

Deodorant

Rubbing Alcohol

Carpets

Epoxy paint

Oil filters

Upholstery

Hearing Aids

Car sound insulation

Cassettes

Motorcycle helmets

Pillows

Shower doors

Shoes

Refrigerator linings

Electrical tape

Safety glass

Rubber cement

Nylon rope

Fertilizers

Hair coloring

Denture adhesive

Movie film

Candles

Water pipes

Car enamel

Shower curtains

Credit cards

Aspirin

Golf balls

Detergents

Sunglasses

Glue

Fishing rods

Linoleum

Plastic wood

Soft contact lenses

Footballs

Paint brushes

Balloons

Fan belts

Umbrellas

Paint Rollers

Luggage

Antifreeze

Floor wax

Tires

Dishwashing liquids

Unbreakable dishes

Toothbrushes

Combs

Tents

Hair curlers

Lipstick

Ice cube trays

Electric blankets

Tennis rackets

Drinking cups

House paint

Guitar strings

Ammonia

TV cabinets

Car battery cases

Refrigerants

Plywood adhesive

Anesthetics

Artificial turf

Bandages

Dentures

Mops

Beach Umbrellas

Ballpoint pens

Nail polish

Caulking

Vitamin capsules

Dashboards

Putty

Insecticides

Fishing lures

Shoe polish

Petroleum jelly

Food preservatives

Antihistamines

Cortisone

Dyes

Solvents

Just think of all the money you'll save as well!

If you really want to hurt BP and ESSO, stop using the other products that their oil is turned into, the stuff they do make money on.

<snip a very long list>!

Are you mad, man? What would life be like without fishing lures and nail polish?

Your list does exemplify the total reliance that we have on petrochemicals. And it offers a few clues about the reasons for the political power of Esso and BP.

Archived