Fuel prices MEGATHREAD

As the saying goes "we are all in this together"

There comes a time when the pain needs to be shared out more equally, you cannot keep hitting the workers with ever more indirect taxes. This tax is a tax that cannot be avoided, unless of course you are a worker that happens to live on the end of a bus route or you work within walking distance of work/home.

I think its time for the chancellor to look elsewhere other than getting ever more money out of the motorist who goes to and from work.

If we're all in this together then why doesn't it feel that way? :huh:

The prices have gone up, thats all that matters to the motorist

I'd hate to break it too you, the price is going to continue to go up. An ever increasing demand with an ever decreasing supply is only ever going drive prices one way.

Has the tax on petrol and diesel gone up recently?

To be fair, that really dosent matter, as the legal robbery of the motorist has been going on a long time. From 23 March 2011 the UK duty rate for unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol was £0.57 per litre (£2.63 per imperial gallon. Value Added Tax (VAT) at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty. An additional vehicle excise duty (Road Tax), depending on a vehicle's CO2 production, which depends directly on fuel consumption, is also levied.

There was a planned hike of another penny in January this year, which was blocked, but according to the HMRC website, the hike will take place in Aug this year.

So, not only do we pay tax on our earnings, we also pay the the fuel duty, which is almost 50% of the litre price, PLUS vat on the top of it all. Its robbery on a massive scale, and the "green" card is always played by people in an effort to justify something that is clearly wrong.

It does when you are discussing the recent rise in petrol and diesel prices and blaming the chancellor.

Im sorry, but I thought the chancellor was the guy who controls how much duty or tax is levied on a particular commodity. Due to the overwhelming public dismay on the price of fuel, you would have thought that he would want to do something about it.

There will be a National FairFuel day on 7th March, which im sure the chancellor is aware of, however if Government supporters are to be believed, this wont change his attitude towards fuel prices, as the amount of revenue at stake would severely damage the Tories chances of reducing the deficit during their term in power.

In short, yes, the chancellor IS to blame.

There are some that favour high fuel duty, but this is self defeating.

If I spend a greater percentage of my net income (and for many people it is a high percentage) on petrol getting to and from work, I then cannot spend my money within other businesses.

As a censequence, many businesses lose money because instead of spending wages in shops, on services or other items people are forever putting petrol in their car to get to and from work.

businesses lose money and so cannot take on additional staff (so no help for those on the dole queue). Businesses take less money so employees take a pay freeze and as a consequence, these people cannot spend money in other peoples businesses.

Many small businesses go to the wall, and many people lose their jobs and so we now have to pay benefits to people who have lost their jobs because people are not spending. Taxes, then need to go up to cover the cost of keeping additional people on benefits.

BUT THERE IS ANOTHER WAY.....but it won't be popular with the anti car brigade.

Cut fuel duty to 40p, that means petrol is now around 98p a litre.

People now have spare cash which they can then spend in businesses, and so businesses grow. Businesses can now create jobs and take people off benefits.

People are in jobs and are now taxpayers. Businesses take more money and so pay more in tax (YES - THEY PAY MORE IN TAX), so in effect a 40p cut in fuel duty would pay for itself as businesses grow and take more money and pay more tax, and take people off the dole queue.

This is supposed to be a conservative government (ie, friendly to businesses and not feathering the nests of the liberal eliete). If things carry on like this, we may as well put new labout back in charge at the next election.

There are some that favour high fuel duty, but this is self defeating.

If I spend a greater percentage of my net income (and for many people it is a high percentage) on petrol getting to and from work, I then cannot spend my money within other businesses.

As a censequence, many businesses lose money because instead of spending wages in shops, on services or other items people are forever putting petrol in their car to get to and from work.

businesses lose money and so cannot take on additional staff (so no help for those on the dole queue). Businesses take less money so employees take a pay freeze and as a consequence, these people cannot spend money in other peoples businesses.

Many small businesses go to the wall, and many people lose their jobs and so we now have to pay benefits to people who have lost their jobs because people are not spending. Taxes, then need to go up to cover the cost of keeping additional people on benefits.

BUT THERE IS ANOTHER WAY.....but it won't be popular with the anti car brigade.

Cut fuel duty to 40p, that means petrol is now around 98p a litre.

People now have spare cash which they can then spend in businesses, and so businesses grow. Businesses can now create jobs and take people off benefits.

People are in jobs and are now taxpayers. Businesses take more money and so pay more in tax (YES - THEY PAY MORE IN TAX), so in effect a 40p cut in fuel duty would pay for itself as businesses grow and take more money and pay more tax, and take people off the dole queue.

This is supposed to be a conservative government (ie, friendly to businesses and not feathering the nests of the liberal eliete). If things carry on like this, we may as well put new labout back in charge at the next election.

Totally agree, 100%. Have a look at http://www.fuelfair.com and send for your car sticker. I dont think any current political power will agree that reducing the duty will do the things you say, as they would lose too much revenue, but isnt it for us, the people to decide? Your answer was spot on, and I believe many others think the same.

Totally agree, 100%. Have a look at http://www.fuelfair.com and send for your car sticker. I dont think any current political power will agree that reducing the duty will do the things you say, as they would lose too much revenue, but isnt it for us, the people to decide? Your answer was spot on, and I believe many others think the same.

Thanks for your support.

If the political powers that be cannot see the logic in reducing fuel prices then there is something wrong, they clearly are not business people and so have no idea of how business works.

The cut in duty I outline would fund itself in the form of growth and increased spending in the shops,

Perhaps this is the problem, it doesn;t matter who is in power, Labour, Conervative or Lib Dem - the people at the top are people from public schools and so they simply have no concept of life for your average person.

Although this is for another debate, the one thing you could say about grammer schools is that it allowed anyone to get to the top, regardless of money.

How badly do we need a true working class person representing Labour, how badly do we need a business brain at the forefront of the conservatives and how badly do the Lib Dems need a rich mummys boy leading their party with silly ideas.

Thats the problem, no choice at the Ballot box

The only way you can force change is to stop buying the petrol.

As we all know, thats simply impossible.

They have us by the private areas, we have no choice. Its laughable listening to Labour lambasting the current government about petrol prices, when they were the worst for upping the petrol costs

Apparently in Germany there is to be an all out strike against petrol day, not sure when it is or was just remember reading something about it on the internet a couple of weeks back...

Archived