Those 'Person A is on this bus' adverts

The one about "Mandy loves her soaps and she's chatting to her friend Keely about last nights Corrie, you could be listening to their inane prattle if you were on this bus" sums up why I don't use them.

Well that and the moaning and performing you get by the time you've got the big mower into pram bay, your chainsaws and hedgecutters secured on the luggage rack and the hand tools stowed on the back seat.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Yes the sensible and generally healthier person. :smile:

Benefits of public transport:-

1) Most buses are every 5 to 10 mins, so never much time having to wait.

My car is always either outside home, or outside work. I don't wait at all.

2) Stress free travel, as the driver takes all the stress to get you from A to B. :)

I don't find driving stressful. I find being a passenger on a bus driven by a person who seems to consider the accelerator and brake to be either 'on' or 'off' to be quite stressful.

3) Generally healthier, as you walk more than using the car. :)

By travelling in the car I save about an hour per travelling day. I use this time to go to the gym.

4) You experience more of the world and people and are more likely to be sociable with others, than stuck in a anti-social bubble all stressed up and road rage angry. :)

I don't get road-rage. I don't get stressed in the car. I experience the world all day apart from when I'm in the car. I've never had much of a conversation on a bus.

5) No parking charges to worry about :)

I have a permit. I also have no bus fares to worry about, and I park near work, rather than 10 minutes walk away, where the bus leaves me.

2) Stress free travel, as the driver takes all the stress to get you from A to B. :)

4) You experience more of the world and people and are more likely to be sociable with others, than stuck in a anti-social bubble all stressed up and road rage angry. :)

1. Not if you live in the countryside or places such as Stocksbridge

2. I see plenty of stress on the bus and most of it is directed AT the driver

3. most bus stops are not far from houses so little walking involved

4. Not on the same buses I go on then, most of them are full of people stressed by screaming kids,

5. Mainline weekly ticket £16 or more if you need to use tram as well, Stagecoach £13. Parking is free both where I and OH work

Which form of transport do you think we use most:hihi::hihi:

1) That's way too infrequent... I want it to be there, waiting for me.

2) I am a control-freak and don't like putting my life in the hands of others.

3) I can walk other places if I decide that I want to, I don't want to be forced to, though.

4) I really don't think I would like the kind of people I see on the 75 bus. I also do not suffer from road rage, I am a very chilled-out driver... never worried about being late or stuck behind something. Anyone I've seen trying to be sociable on a bus is treated like they're a nut.

5) I have a car park space at my office.

Car wins! Yay!

1) My car is outside the house waiting all day every day, in its own parking spot.

2) If you think that bus travel is stress free then you don't travel on the same buses that I have been on

3) For at least 3 days a week (more often 5 or even all 7) I can't walk to the bus stop, and even if I can get to the stop I can't get from the stop at the other end to my destination or from the stop to home on the return journey.

4) I don't want to experience more of the world and I certainly don't want to experience more of the prejudiced and cruel parts of the world that deliberately refuses to help others by allowing them to do something that is important because they don't see why they should have to.

5) I rarely pay parking charges because I have a blue badge.

I have a card to use buses and trams for nothing, yet my car still wins because it's pointless me already being knackered and in pain from the journey by the time I reach my destination.

Are you contrasting, either:

A. Cost of bus travel, vs, Cost of travel by car (incl. associated costs).

or

B. Cost of bus travel and keeping a car on your drive, vs, cost of travel by car (incl. associated costs).

I'm looking at A, but seems you're looking at B.

Did you know, you can get a weekly ticket for £10.50 (£1.50 per day), that allows you to travel all over Sheffield, for one week?

Perhaps cheaper than what you pay to keep your car for one week?

Of course, I'm not disputing there are a number of advantages to travel by car; but for just one person travelling, I'm convinced in most cases, bus is cheaper.

It might be cheaper if you ignore the cost of having the car on the drive, and don't think your time is worth anything.

I wasn't joking when I said time was money. Okay, we're not in a 1980's movie set on Wall Street, but if cost was the only issue I'd walk (or cycle or run) everywhere. It isn't though, I have a limited amount of time and I don't want to waste it sitting on a bus.

For example, tonight I'll visit my parents and one of my mates. I could do it on the bus (or bus/tram/train) the bus would take me something like 2:30 travel time though. By car, it will be <1hr.

You're claiming that travelling by bus makes you healthier, that's certainly not an argument I've heard before! :hihi:

Most buses are not, a limited range of services are that frequent.

Unless you count the stress of travelling with noisy, smelly people you don't know, and taking longer to get there.

If walking to get the bus was to contribute significantly to my exercise I'd be worried that I wasn't doing enough in the first place!

More of the world, we're talking about number 85, not the Orient Express.

No, instead you've got your fare to worry about. Not that parking charges normally worry me at all.

Would depend on number of miles you drive per year. If you only do 10 miles a year, imagine costs will be way more than £3.
Indeed, which is why originally said this:
It all depends on what car, and
how many miles you do a year
. . . . ..

Archived