Do We Really Need Royalty?

I disagree with this for one reason. Buckingham Palace is anarchy at the time of the changing of the guard. Any other time its pretty quiet with only a few tourists wondering past having their pictures taken.

The ceremonial parts such as the changing of the guard etc could easily stay, just like in places such as Greece etc

But what would they be guarding if the royals were gone? No one guards empty palaces. Look at Hampton Court for instance. It's only the actual use or occasional use of a royal residence that requires the presence of a ceremonila guard.

The whole reason for pomp and ceremony would largely disappear with the royals. I dont think very many people in the Uk would be happy with that idea.

But what would they be guarding if the royals were gone? No one guards empty palaces. Look at Hampton Court for instance. It's only the actual use or occasional use of a royal residence that requires the presence of a ceremonila guard.

The whole reason for pomp and ceremony would largely disappear with the royals. I dont think very many people in the Uk would be happy with that idea.

Do you really think those few guys with silly uniforms are the actual guards of the royal family?

Special branch guard the royals and you don't see them.

Do you really think those few guys with silly uniforms are the actual guards of the royal family?

They're real soldiers with real guns ... just have a go at storming the courtyard and then see who looks silly.

They're real soldiers with real guns ... just have a go at storming the courtyard and then see who looks silly.

The soldiers are sworn to protect the Queen and her family, but they are tasked with protecting the buildings. If you think those two guys stood in their little wooden box are real protection, compare Buckingham palace's visible security with that of the Palace of Westminster. Notice the difference between the soldiers SA80's and the Police's MP5's and G36's. Notice the body armour worn by the police compared to the middle age's style mail armour worn by the soldiers. Those protecting the royals are in-fact ceremonial, otherwise they would be in APC's rather than riding horses.

SA80 E3/4's are weapons of war, designed for the battlefield, while the MP5 and G36 are for close field of fire work, ideal for counter terrorism and protection.

Like I said, the real people protecting the royal family are Special Branch, which have no visible presence at the royal palaces, but protection for the Royal Family is one of their primary roles.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_Command#Royalty_Protection

One question you should ask yourself is this, when the Queen is at another of her many homes in the UK, does the Household Cavalry travel with her or do they stay doing exactly the same thing at Buckingham Palace while its empty [of Royals]?

]Do you really think those few guys with silly uniforms are the actual guards [/b]of the royal family?

Maybe special branch do guard her but dont underestimate those guys in "silly uniforms" They're also trained soldiers and rotate to war zones occasionally

They dont carry blunderbusses either. From what I've see they're armed with modern looking assault weapons..... now whether they're loaded and locked I wouldn't know.

How would that help? It would still disgust me from over there.

If you were to tell someone this side of the pond the Royal family disgusted you they'd be a bit surprised.

In over 4 decades I've never heard any American say anything negative about the Royal family.

Not really. the royalty lineage doesn't represent the true british of this country, if any of that gene pool exists. The current lineage goes back 500 years after a frenchy took the throne from a german, and before that we where ruled by Italians. So its about time we booted them off the public funding list. I'de rather pay public sector workers such as nurses and bin men to do an essential job than pay the german decendent queen to wave her hand.

The queen is Scottish on her motther's side. Perhaps a choiice of deportation to Scotland or Germany :D

Maybe at the same time we could start checking everybodys lineage to see if they have any foreign blood within the last 500 years. That should thin out the population considerably.

I wonder what would happen if someone tried assassinating the queen or someone important on a public stage, what about a terrorist strike on Buckingham Palace or Houses of Parliament, like another 9/11, that would be very interesting especially if the queen and prime minister was in.

Archived