Italian Meal That lets you BYO on a Saturday

loobylou-lou

La Luna in Ecclesall Road South, next to the Banner Cross pub.

It's great food in a home-cooking sort of way rather than a fine dining way, if you see what I mean. Far superior to any of the chains, but not exactly comparable to Marco@Milanos or Nonna's.

The pizzas, pastas and fish dishes are all very good, reasonably priced, and the portions are large.

I can't comment on the meat dishes, but my friends have always been happy.

You will have to book though, as it's always packed.

La Luna in Ecclesall Road South, next to the Banner Cross pub.

It's great food in a home-cooking sort of way rather than a fine dining way, if you see what I mean. Far superior to any of the chains, but not exactly comparable to Marco@Milanos or Nonna's.

The pizzas, pastas and fish dishes are all very good, reasonably priced, and the portions are large.

I can't comment on the meat dishes, but my friends have always been happy.

You will have to book though, as it's always packed.

Only been to La Luna once last year. It was absolutely terrible. The food was bland and overcooked

Only been to La Luna once last year. It was absolutely terrible. The food was bland and overcooked

Oh dear. I've been several times and it's always been very good - not top-end - but good. We've also had two work Christmas meals there where everybody was very happy. Perhaps you were just unlucky.

La Dolce Vita at Crosspool does not have a licence so it is very much BYO all week. Went there on Saturday night for the first time and had a very pleasant meal. Corkage is only £2. I would class this is a good local "neighbourhood" restaurant (quite different to Artisan a few doors down) and provided you go anticipating a good standard of "home cooking" rather than "sophisticated" dishes with "foams" or "smears", then you won't be disappointed. Our bill for two 3-course meals, two coffees and corkage came to just over £48. Excellent value, we thought. Two qualifications - portions aren't huge (we don't view that as a criticism though I know some will); the room isn't big so I would say booking is pretty much essential.

Archived