Spat at whilst at work.

Which is why I asked why the OP felt the need to disclose his sexuality, given that not everyone is as accepting as the people on here.

AFterall what you do in your own time is up to you, but suddenly saying "I'm Gay" to people it is irrelevant to could make them feel they are under threat.

Personally I couldn't care less, but SOME PEOPLE see it differently.

Who knows, I can't answer that one. Maybe circumstances or events have forced him to tell, it happens.

Which is why I asked why the OP felt the need to disclose his sexuality, given that not everyone is as accepting as the people on here.

AFterall what you do in your own time is up to you, but suddenly saying "I'm Gay" to people it is irrelevant to could make them feel they are under threat.

I do agree with this. I don't really think there's a need to out one's sexuality at work (Unless you work in the sex industry obviously). For me, it's like religion. It should stay at home, unless people not being aware could lead to other issues.

The spitting is revolting and wrong,as is the inference of child molestation.But the person is still entitled to dislke homosexuality, an attitude which ,as far as I am aware,is still not illegal.

It's not illegal no. But what is illegal is expressing those views at work to a colleague who is within that group.

If someone is so frothing at the mouth about it they can't control themselves they obviously have issues which would make them an unsuitable employee anyway.

Keeping your gob shut about your opinions on that kind of thing at work is not a big ask and most people can manage it.

I do agree with this. I don't really think there's a need to out one's sexuality at work (Unless you work in the sex industry obviously). For me, it's like religion. It should stay at home, unless people not being aware could lead to other issues.

So would you be happy to go into work and be in a situation where you were never allowed to mention you had a wife at home and kids? Because that's just flaunting your sexuality and you should keep your gob shut.

However, they could have felt threatened more so if he'd turned up to a work do (for example) with a boyfriend without anyone having previous knowledge of his sexual preference. Should he then be advised not to take a partner to such events incase people are unaccepting?

This is where it would get tricky. The homosexual hides the fact longer for fear it will upset homophobes.

Homophobes get upset because they have found out and what's more they're upset because they befriended you when things were "normal".

I guess the OP has to weigh up. Should I be honest from the outset and risk upsetting the odd homophobe or should I keep quiet and keep every body happy, except yourself.

Where were all of your other colleagues during this incident?

It's weird but I suppose if it doesn't offend you in any way it's hard to comprehend how someone can be so changeable when they find out. Clearly the friend part was a myth.

So would you be happy to go into work and be in a situation where you were never allowed to mention you had a wife at home and kids? Because that's just flaunting your sexuality and you should keep your gob shut.

That's not sexual orientation though is it? Sexual orientation is assumed by saying you have a wife. Saying I have a wife or partner is part of normal conversation. Coming out and saying I'm straight or gay isn't.

It's weird but I suppose if it doesn't offend you in any way it's hard to comprehend how someone can be so changeable when they find out. Clearly the friend part was a myth.

I agree but sex is a thing some people get offended by. You wouldn't expect a racist to go around proclaiming that they are racist, same as I an atheist wouldn't go round proclaiming that.

Archived