Spat at whilst at work.

Im not sure if i will. If id had the support of my workmates i probably would but more than 3/4 of them laughed or gigled or sniggered in some way.

I work in retail.

Are you sure that it wasn't shock or embarrassment that caused them to react like that?

I assumed that it was a site or a factory to be honest because that was the only kind of place where people might react like that and could think they'd get away with it.

I'm shocked it was retail. When something like that happens people often react in an odd way, eg giggling, or laughing becuase they don't know how to react. I think you would be surprised how many of them would back you up if push came to shove.

If it was just nasty comments I could understand just letting it go but with the spitting and the comments about children I really think you should do something about that, it's just unacceptable behaviour at work no matter what sparked it off. If it had been sparked off by you sleeping with his Mum or farting all the time or not doing the washing up in the staff room or having funny coloured hair it would still have been unacceptable behaviour that you should complain about.

It would seem that the proof has already been in the pudding, wether we like it or not, there will always be people who dislike our views on almost anything.

The fact that the OP was treat like that and that people disagree here about the rights & wrongs of the situation just goes to show that everyone has their own opinion, and who's to say which is right?

Many years ago, if someone said "I'm Homosexual" they could have been imprisoned, and people would have thought that was the norm....

Fortunately times change, but just because lots of people now are ok with such things, does not mean everyone is (even if LOTS of people PRETEND to be)

I've seen it no end of times, both men and women being as nice as pie to someone who is homosexual (usually males) then as soon as there is nobody around, slagging them off to others and saying some terrible things.

It makes me cross, but it is nonetheless a fact of life.

Are you for real?

Would you skulk around pretending not to be muslim just because it goes against the norm in our society? Would you accept being spat at for "coming out" as a muslim in your workplace?

No?

So stop being a damn hypocrit.

I do not think the equation tallies do you?

I do not think the equation tallies do you?

I do. Perfectly. In fact I think that the OP is even more entitled to go against the norms of society as it is something that is inherently part of him that he cannot change.

If going against the norms of society is a bad thing it's much easier to give up being a Muslim than it is to give up being gay.

Are you sure that it wasn't shock or embarrassment that caused them to react like that?

I assumed that it was a site or a factory to be honest because that was the only kind of place where people might react like that and could think they'd get away with it.

I'm shocked it was retail. When something like that happens people often react in an odd way, eg giggling, or laughing becuase they don't know how to react. I think you would be surprised how many of them would back you up if push came to shove.

If it was just nasty comments I could understand just letting it go but with the spitting and the comments about children I really think you should do something about that, it's just unacceptable behaviour at work no matter what sparked it off. If it had been sparked off by you sleeping with his Mum or farting all the time or not doing the washing up in the staff room or having funny coloured hair it would still have been unacceptable behaviour that you should complain about.

I do hope it was shock rather than anything else. I suppose ill find out tomorrow when i go to work. Not that im looking forward to it in the slightest. Ive never considered my workplace and anti gay or anti anything one. There are no racist or homophobic jokes, there is no smut on the walls or graffiti. It just seemed such a normal place:confused:

It would seem that the proof has already been in the pudding, wether we like it or not, there will always be people who dislike our views on almost anything.

The fact that the OP was treat like that and that people disagree here about the rights & wrongs of the situation just goes to show that everyone has their own opinion, and who's to say which is right?

Many years ago, if someone said "I'm Homosexual" they could have been imprisoned, and people would have thought that was the norm....

Fortunately times change, but just because lots of people now are ok with such things, does not mean everyone is (even if LOTS of people PRETEND to be)

I've seen it no end of times, both men and women being as nice as pie to someone who is homosexual (usually males) then as soon as there is nobody around, slagging them off to others and saying some terrible things.

It makes me cross, but it is nonetheless a fact of life.

People do that about all sorts of things. I know personally I am nice as pie to people's faces but in reality I think they are stupid or common and hate talking to them or getting stuck with them at parties or sitting near them at work. There's one person at work who's mere voice to me is like dragging nails down a blackboard but I don't spit at her or call her a paedo or tell her to stay away from my kids.

Everybody is full of their own various predjudices and always will be no matter how much we legislate against it. But the fact is that even as they hold onto them we can as a society say that we find it unacceptable for people to be insulted or abused because of those predjudices. Hang onto them for dear life if you want to, just don't act on them.

I do. Perfectly. In fact I think that the OP is even more entitled to go against the norms of society as it is something that is inherently part of him that he cannot change.

If going against the norms of society is a bad thing it's much easier to give up being a Muslim than it is to give up being gay.

Religion is something that is deep seated, and cannot be rejected easily.

Sins of the flesh are easily given up, by any decent person.

I do hope it was shock rather than anything else. I suppose ill find out tomorrow when i go to work. Not that im looking forward to it in the slightest. Ive never considered my workplace and anti gay or anti anything one. There are no racist or homophobic jokes, there is no smut on the walls or graffiti. It just seemed such a normal place:confused:

Well good luck, I hope it goes well. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Archived