Please help.Advice needed. At my wits end with 2 labs

espadrille

Just returned to find that the lino has been pulled up away from fitted kitchen and corner of it chewed off. Very expensive lino. I am quite angry.

What is the right reaction. I scolded the dog and said BAD DOG. In a very strong voice.

Some people say that you should ignore it but that feels wrong somehow.

If you don't mind me throwing my two-pennorth in here (and, by christ, I know I'm no expert). From everything I've ever read about dogs being "bad" there is no point whatsoever scolding them after the act. As I understand it, dogs' minds work in literal, immediate pictures, so when I say "bad girl" to my girl because I've got in and found she has eaten the book I was half way through (true story, happened last week) there's is no point me doing that because she thinks "bad girl" is in relation to her standing in front of me telling me she's glad I'm home.

Everyone on this bit of the forum is far better qualified to give advice than me, but as an owner of challenging dogs myself, I'd recommend you have a look at a book called "the culture clash" by Jean Donaldson. It made me think very differently about my hounds.

Update

Both dogs now zonked out after an hours energetic run with the long ball thrower in the park.

They look as if they have been drugged!

Yes they are siblings. Same litter puppies but one is a show dog and the other a gun dog. It is the gun dog that causes the problems.

Thanks very much for all the replies.

Not possible i dont think, yes you get mixed show type lab and working lab litters, but siblings from the same little wouldnt be different types of labradors. Different personalities yes of course, but thats just slitting hair and isnt really useful anyway :hihi:.

Watch this space.May crate them if the exercise regime doesnt work

Update

Just arrived back from work so find wee in front of dining room door. Dont know what happened as daughter now in bed.

Think that crating is the only answer??

The dogs were shattered so it cant be due to them not having any exercise.

Absolutely for the time being yes, i think you have to at least until you get to the bottom of this. Like said earlier in the thread you need to go right back to basics and start a fresh.

My first starting point would be clean everywhere he is weeing with a biological washing powder, even the cleaner designed to get rid of the smell (to the dog) are often rubbish. Get hold of the crates (ask on here someone may have a couple they can loan you to try). A good run in the morning, and then leave him for just short spells to start off with.

A friend of mines dog never get his food as a full meal he get it in a puzzle sort ball, so it keeps him busy for ages. When my lab was younger (and on limited exercise) i would throw a handful of his kibble scattered aross the garden so he had go find it :hihi:.

I do wonder tho if from what you've said if he might have separation anxiety? i have little knowledge on this, but im sure there a others here that will.

The Skinner btw i buy from Lottie http://www.pawsitivelypets.co.uk/content/6-training.php

However if you give skinners a call they're very good and are happy to recommend which food is best for your dogs, they'll also send you loads of free sample and a list of local suppliers.

you could go to the vets or a good pet shop and get a plug in of FELAWAY it calmes the dog and stops it messing all over becausehe doesnt have to leave his scent anymore as the felaway does it for him lots of luck to you

Feliway is for cats but DAP (dog appeasement pheromone) does a similar job for dogs to calm them down. We use it on bonfire night.

Came down again this am to find wee all over the floor and it was only 7am

Didnt scold him .

Just made a decision that they are from now on kept in the porch which is big enough for them to move around. in.I cant allow any more damage to the house.He has on occasion weed in there before but better there than in the kitchen and dining room.

Downside to that it it is glass and they bark like mad at next doors cat sitting on its own fence!:help:

Re the seperation anxiety, you would think the fact that he has his brother (twin!) with him at all times would be enough!

Anyway compared to some dogs they are left only for short periods, ie up to 3 and a half hours.

Re the dogs, the breeder said they were show dog and gun dog. All the other puppies were black in the same litter apart from the golden one, Winston. The mother was a gun dog and the father a show dog.beleive it or not the grandparent had been Crufts champion!

Re the seperation anxiety, you would think the fact that he has his brother (twin!) with him at all times would be enough!

Anyway compared to some dogs they are left only for short periods, ie up to 3 and a half hours.

Re the dogs, the breeder said they were show dog and gun dog. All the other puppies were black in the same litter apart from the golden one, Winston. The mother was a gun dog and the father a show dog.beleive it or not the grandparent had been Crufts champion!

When she said "show dog and gun dog" it really only means that one was more suitable for showing than the other, apart from that they are really the same they just look a bit different.

The insecurity that they feel (sep anxiety) will not be helped by there being another dog as the insecure one will "wind up" the other one, these dogs are bored, under stimulated and insecure for some reason, if you put them into the porch you are pushing them even further away from the safety of the pack and "the den" security that they crave.

I would definitely prefer to see crate them inside the house in an area where they normally sleep, and in 2 separate crates, a DAP diffuser might help them to feel calmer and more settled, you can also buy it in a spray and I think a collar that releases the scent periodically.

Personally I think that the way forward for you is to save up and have the help of a really good behaviorist that can come out, meet your family and the dogs and assess where things are going wrong first hand.

When she said "show dog and gun dog" it really only means that one was more suitable for showing than the other, apart from that they are really the same they just look a bit different.

The insecurity that they feel (sep anxiety) will not be helped by there being another dog as the insecure one will "wind up" the other one, these dogs are bored, under stimulated and insecure for some reason, if you put them into the porch you are pushing them even further away from the safety of the pack and "the den" security that they crave.

I would definitely prefer to see crate them inside the house in an area where they normally sleep, and in 2 separate crates, a DAP diffuser might help them to feel calmer and more settled, you can also buy it in a spray and I think a collar that releases the scent periodically.

Personally I think that the way forward for you is to save up and have the help of a really good behaviorist that can come out, meet your family and the dogs and assess where things are going wrong first hand.

OK

Thanks

OK

Thanks

Just re-read what I said and it sounds a bit harsh, sorry it wasn't meant that way at all, I really was trying to be helpful.

Actually I really feel for you, when dogs misbehave they are really hard to deal with and frustrating, sometimes a bit of outside help can put things into perspective and help us see things with new eyes :)

CRATES! honesty, i know its the expense but you can pick them up on here for about 20 quid each. It will save all the mess which if nothing else will give you a break from the cleaning, you hopefully feel better about the situation and stronger to carry on.

Post on the lab forum, there are both dog trainers, dog psychologists and behaviourist who are regular posters, they will help you.

Archived