Best Real Ale in Sheffield?

accole1

Out of interest, is anybody else on this forum intending on trying out the Old Hall Inn (Chinley) beer festival this weekend?

We're planning on getting there late Saturday Afternoon.....It's a place I didn't even know existed.

Regards

Doom

Damn! I've missed it!

I was at the Old Hall Inn beer festival in summer last year. Excellent it was too. It's a fine pub and easy to get to by train actually. Just take the Manchester stopping service from Sheffield, get off at Chinley, turn left out the station towards the village, then down the hill and half way up the other side and you're there! About 10 mins walk from Chinley station.

The places that I drink in sheffield are:

The Sheffield Tap

Dada

Sheaf View

The Greystones

Rutland Arms

University Arms

The Coach and Horses (Dronfield)

The Three Tuns (Dronfield)

Chesterfield Arms (self explanatory)

Thanks for this kirkyb. The one's I left in above are also ones where I drink fairly regularly.

I also enjoy the Rutland in Chesterfield occasionally, although that is in the process of changing hands this weekend apparently. Still going to do real ales but will remain to be seen if it's as good. Went in earlier this week and they'd only got 3 beers on hand pull and 2 of those were the ubiquitous rubbish, London Pride and Black Sheep. So...hope it recovers soon.

If I had to pick one I would say Buxton is my favourite brewery. Just don't see it around very often that's all. Had some last in the Sheffield Tap.

Buxton "Axe Edge" is formidable - best beer i've ever tasted.

Damn! I've missed it!

I was at the Old Hall Inn beer festival in summer last year. Excellent it was too. It's a fine pub and easy to get to by train actually. Just take the Manchester stopping service from Sheffield, get off at Chinley, turn left out the station towards the village, then down the hill and half way up the other side and you're there! About 10 mins walk from Chinley station.

We made it there late Saturday Afternoon and lasted a couple of hours.

The intention was to stay longer, but some of the better beers had already gone and the place was uncomortably packed out.

We'll probably do the Summer festival though, because much of that is outside so space shouldn't be a problem, but I think we'll give the Winter festival a miss next time.

Regards

Doom

Thanks for this kirkyb. The one's I left in above are also ones where I drink fairly regularly.

I also enjoy the Rutland in Chesterfield occasionally, although that is in the process of changing hands this weekend apparently. Still going to do real ales but will remain to be seen if it's as good. Went in earlier this week and they'd only got 3 beers on hand pull and 2 of those were the ubiquitous rubbish, London Pride and Black Sheep. So...hope it recovers soon.

If I had to pick one I would say Buxton is my favourite brewery. Just don't see it around very often that's all. Had some last in the Sheffield Tap.

Buxton "Axe Edge" is formidable - best beer i've ever tasted.

I hope the Rutland gets back to form!

We got the train to Chesterfield a couple of months back to try out the real ale there. It's actually not bad for real ale pubs with the Rutland being our favourite. The intention is to go again in the Summer, so hopefully the Rutland will be back up to speed by then.

Regards

Doom

As kirbyb says Doom, the Chesterfield Arms is also good for beer, although it's a bit of a walk out of the centre along Newbold road, maybe take you 25 mins walk from the train station.

Don't know if you saw my post the other day but there's a really nice bar/bistro with real ale called Coco's, which is very near the station, on Corportation street. Food looks excellent as well.

The Market Tavern (in the market square) isn't bad for real ale but they do tend to go with a lot of mainstream stuff.

Archived