What is Secularism?

The irony for me is that many religious requirements, prayers, diet, dress, etc are specifically done to show a person's dedication to their brand of deity, to show to small sign of self-sacrifice. If this means that their lives are inconvenienced in some ways then that is by design, they should welcome that situation. In their attempts to enforce religious privilege they are making it easier for themselves to comply with their rules. In a way, they are cheating, which must make their deity quite irate.

I agree with you for the most part, I'm not sure I do regarding this on two counts.

Firstly you seem to imply that religion requires a deity, this is quite difficult because a dictionary defines religion has having a belief in a deity or controlling power but I can think of at least three off the top of my head that are officially recognised as religions without subscribing to the above belief.

Secondly, certain practices are not always done for self sacrifice, and some (in the case of Islam for example) all action regarding practice is sacrifice, so it's not quite that black and white.

I don't wholeheartedly disagree with your saying they should welcome the hardship but as I previously said most religions actually allow you to forego those requirements if necessary and I think those that try and use it is a privelege on purpose, ie, to get out of work for an extra break, are taking the micky, and I think that is where they are cheating.

My wife works in a medical environment in which jewellery in not permitted, or must be taped up, and hair must be tied back. A person who claimed that their religion insists that he/she must let their hair run wild, or display a crucifix, should seek alternative employment or set aside their beliefs aside at work[/Quote]

Sorry, should have answered this at the same time as my previous points :suspect:

On a lighter note, I think anyone claiming they should let there hair run wild as a part of a religion should read there books a little more closely, with the possible exception of Rastafari (which I know very little about) I think virtually every religion says you should have your head covered or your hair short anyway.

Sorry, should have answered this at the same time as my previous points :suspect:

On a lighter note, I think anyone claiming they should let there hair run wild as a part of a religion should read there books a little more closely, with the possible exception of Rastafari (which I know very little about) I think virtually every religion says you should have your head covered or your hair short anyway.

Exclusive brethren? But then "their wimmin" are not allowed to work.

It matters not, because people can interpret their religion how they want to, which is why secularism is so important.

Most Christians don't think that wearing a crucifix is an intrinsic requirement of their faith, but Nadia Eweida claimed it was.

Exclusive brethren? But then "their wimmin" are not allowed to work.

It matters not, because people can interpret their religion how they want to, which is why secularism is so important.

Most Christians don't think that wearing a crucifix is an intrinsic requirement of their faith, but Nadia Eweida claimed it was.

So would you say that 'the right to practice' one's faith comes from an individuals standpoint or some traceable scriptural evidence?

Lets say that a case came to court, and you were the judge, and someone claimed that as part of their right to practice their faith they had to wear a crucifix?

How would you deal with it, would you take it on the individuals claim or look for some scriptural backing?

So would you say that 'the right to practice' one's faith comes from an individuals standpoint or some traceable scriptural evidence?

Lets say that a case came to court, and you were the judge, and someone claimed that as part of their right to practice their faith they had to wear a crucifix?

How would you deal with it, would you take it on the individuals claim or look for some scriptural backing?

People do have a right to wear a crucifix. Their justification for doing so is irrelevant.

An employer also has a right to ask people not wear jewellery.

Simple.

*Throws an Amish person at you*

People do have a right to wear a crucifix. Their justification for doing so is irrelevant.

An employer also has a right to ask people not wear jewellery.

Simple.

But that's somewhat avoiding the issue, we don't live in an entirely secular society, people do have the right to practice, and if someone claimed that wearing the crucifix was part of that right, how would you deal with it. If religious people have a right to practice (which they do within the law) and there is no health and safety issues, just a policy on uniform for appearance, should that employer be able to ask them to remove that jewellery?

In this case my question is entirely relevant, if you were the judge in such a case what would you deem the individuals view as the practice of the religion or refer to the religious texts?

Is the right to practice (a legal right) to be overshadowed by an employers uniform code (where there are no issues of health and safety etc involved)?

In this case my question is entirely relevant, if you were the judge in such a case what would you deem the individuals view as the practice of the religion or refer to the religious texts?

And the reason I said it was simple, because I think it is, and the only people trying to make it complicated are religious apologists who want to give their practices special privilege and enforce respect.

I'll give you another example.

People have every right to eat takeaway food.

A bus company has a right to refuse food on its buses.

A judge should view the rights of the individual against the rights of others irrespective of the religious aspect.

10 points and a cigar to the first person who uses "antidisestablishmentarian" in its proper context.

You never want to be coddled,

You never want to be kissed,

You're just an old ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISMIST!

When I come close when we're dancing,

I get a slap on the wrist,

Don't be an old ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISMIST!

You've got no use for moonlight,

You'd turn your back on a star!

Your heart is bent and you're against The state of things as they are!

When you're a hundred years older,

maybe you'll want what you've missed,

Don't be an old ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISMIST!

I claim my 10 points and my cigar.

jb

Archived