Scargill vs NUM

WeX

Your timeline is off.

The "winter of discontent" was 1978/79. The miners did not strike at that time.

Arthur Scargill did not become president of the NUM until 1982.

I had a nagging feeling I should check that, but forgot. Ill amend now.

It seems the working mans hero Arthur Scargill is not happy with his lavish lifestyle paid for by his former union, he wants more and has just won a battle in Sheffield County Court, winning he rights to an additional car allowance of £12,000.

I see no difference between Scargill and the jobs for the boys mentality of the conservatives when putting their retired members out to grass, or as its called The House of Lords (Labour cottoned onto this recently too).

What did Scargill do for the NUM other than unemployment to tens of thousands and eventual defeat, while now he sits in his central London flat, paid for by the union, and now gets even more money!

Arthur Scargill, a materialistic Marxist.

Evidence of this?

And the date of the OP's link is 21 February 2012 Last updated at 14:27 so I'd like to know how he could have posted any earlier.

If the judgment was handed down today, the court case must have been known about for some weeks. That said, though, I hadn't heard about it; just because knowledge is in the public domain doesn't necessarily mean it will be widely known.

I think it's more a case of Mecky having a dig at Wex and carrying on some fued or other from one of the other threads into this one instead of having the brains to take each thread individually.

I've never seen any other posters who've commented on a recent news story be criticised in this way.

From what I heard on Look North (or Look Leeds on here :hihi:) he was contracted back as a consultant to the union after he had left their employment, and was only being paid £35k for that.

To be fair, that's pretty good value if you consider Bob Crowe is paid a salary of almost £100k (and still uses social housing :rant:). If his contract said they'd pay expenses too and then stopped paying his expenses, looks like that is why he has won.

Everyone knew of the supposed story 2 or 3 weeks ago and you've only just decided to post the story.

This is about the decision. The article on the Star website says the decision is breaking news. Admittedly by the Star's standards that could be anytime in the last 2 years but I get the impression it's today.

From what I heard on Look North (or Look Leeds on here :hihi:) he was contracted back as a consultant to the union after he had left their employment, and was only being paid £35k for that.

To be fair, that's pretty good value if you consider Bob Crowe is paid a salary of almost £100k (and still uses social housing :rant:). If his contract said they'd pay expenses too and then stopped paying his expenses, looks like that is why he has won.

How does the NUM afford these amounts when membership is under 1700?

Archived