Folder sharing windows 7/XP

llamatron

There used to be an issue with windows 7 requiring a higher level of security by default than windows xp could provide. I had to configure a number of 7 machines to accept the 48bit key from xp (or something along those lines).

That's quite correct. I recall I also had to do that. It was so long ago I'd forgotten about that bit...

The only reliable way I've found on my home network since I introduced Win 7 machines is to setup a user with the same name and password on each of the machines to be shared. Having a blank password on Win 7 no longer works reliably (if at all). If you are going to bring XP into the mix I guess you'll need to have matching workgroups (vista/7 doesn't care). If you must have different accounts for normal use on each machine, then you'll have to setup an account especially for file copying and do lots of switching users. Not ideal.

I seem to have managed it between the win 7 computers now but I have no idea how I did it? I just had to put in the username and password for the machine my shared folder is based on to open it from my other computer.

I bet the XP computer has been excluded by Bill Gates now haha!

edit: Nope it is the same from the other computer:huh:

Now I have to never touch anything again or it will lose its magic powers!

Archived