Drugs- No comparison.

This is an interesting notion and seems to be supported by my own observations and experience - i.e. during a break of a couple of years from smoking cigarettes, I seemed to find my consumption of alcohol dropping, without any conscious attempt to drink less on my part.

Could you expand on this idea please and point to any relevant studies?

Can't point you to relevant studies, but taking any drug in combination with nicotine produces a greater reinforcing effect than that drug taken in isolation.

This may be because nicotine potentiates the effects of many drugs. Nicotine may be a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, which has the effect of slowing the metabolism of other alkaloids, making them more powerful and longer lasting. Also, because MAOI act as non-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, there could be a mild anti-depressant effect meaning that for those prone to self medication, it's doubly hard to quit.

Archived