Damp proofing & removal advice/DPC/recommendations MEGATHREAD

shef99

Hi All,

Anyone know how long a damp proof course is likely to be good for?

I'm about to put my house on the market, and I've found out that when we tried to sell it previously the buyers' mortgage company put a retainer on the amount they would lend, as they were asking a damp proof course to be put in.

This was a couple of years ago, but now we're going to be selling again it's got me wondering about mortgage valuations. I was surprised that damp came up, as I had a damp proof course put in when I bought the house (at the insistence of the mortgage lender). However, this was about 10 years ago, but we've never had any problems with damp.

So - do mortgage lenders just automatically demand a damp proof course be put in? Can I pre-empt this by providing proof that there is one already? Or is it useless after 10 years anyway?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes they do,the normal guarantee for a damp proof course is thirty years [crazy i know]and the reason for that is to cover the repayment period.Check your guarantee it could/should be for thirty years.

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 14:20 ----------

ours didn't?

Depends how old your house is,and obviously if it already had one installed.

Yes they do,the normal guarantee for a damp proof course is thirty years [crazy i know]and the reason for that is to cover the repayment period.Check your guarantee it could/should be for thirty years.

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 14:20 ----------

Depends how old your house is,and obviously if it already had one installed.[/quote

Yes a house built in the last 30 years will have a proper plastic membrane built. in. You will be able to see it if you stand back and look at a bed joint. If its a pre war house it may not have one. Mortgage providers love to jump on the band wagon even if no sign of damp. They and there little machines will find some. Part of the course of we will find some thing brigade./ WAIT FOR THERE SURVEYORS REPORT YOU MAY GET LUCKY

Edited by spider1

• 4 months later...

My house had a damp proof course put in in 1988 by Dower Tekron LTD. The work was guaranteed for 30 years however there is now a few patches of damp where I suspect the damp proofing has failed. It's not a huge amount of damp but enough to be worried about.

Dower Tekron has gone bust but the warranty is passed on to Albright and Wilson as part of the guarantee for Nubex products. But they got swallowed up by Tenneco and then later Rhodia.

I was wondering if anybody has had any success at chasing up these guarantees. My cynical friend tells me I have no chance.

I once claimed on damp warranty. It was only five years old but had patches

where some failure had occurred. When I rang the company they didn't seem interested, I insisted they took it seriously and eventually after a couple of months they visited to look at the problem.

They then wrote to me saying it was a problem with the product itself and suggested I contact the manufacturer.

Naturally the manufacturer wasn't interested and blamed the way the product was applied.

It took me two years to persuade the installers to do the job again, but in the end they did.

Since then there has been no problems.

Prepare for a long hard slog of being fobbed off but nothing should prevent a good outcome, bearing in mind you know at least which company to deal with.

My house had a damp proof course put in in 1988 by Dower Tekron LTD. The work was guaranteed for 30 years however there is now a few patches of damp where I suspect the damp proofing has failed. It's not a huge amount of damp but enough to be worried about.

Dower Tekron has gone bust but the warranty is passed on to Albright and Wilson as part of the guarantee for Nubex products. But they got swallowed up by Tenneco and then later Rhodia.

I was wondering if anybody has had any success at chasing up these guarantees. My cynical friend tells me I have no chance.

Was the DPC guarantee insurance-backed?

If not, do you yourself have legal expenses insurance; or might your property insurance cover the problem?

Unsurprisingly it wasn't insurance backed. We don't have legal cover with our home insurance policy, maybe that's something to think about when the time comes to renew.

Upon further inspection it may be penetrating damp and a bit of maintenance could sort it out, it's not big enough to warrant a claim though.

Unsurprisingly it wasn't insurance backed. We don't have legal cover with our home insurance policy, maybe that's something to think about when the time comes to renew.

Upon further inspection it may be penetrating damp and a bit of maintenance could sort it out, it's not big enough to warrant a claim though.

Very suprised by that,they certainly used to be at one time.