Damp proofing & removal advice/DPC/recommendations MEGATHREAD

shef99

If you mean KA tanking slurry, then I believe it is a similar product to K11. As Sovereign products have always seemed to be the industry standard, then theirs would be the one I would tend to recommend, but I have no reason to doubt the KA product. My son in law was Sovereign trained and approved so thats the one we stuck with.

I have used KA slurry but am waiting for next winter to test its effectiveness.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My friend got the quotes from companies Sentinel maintenance ltd and Cannon contractors for applying damp proof course and tanking system.

Did you guys have experience with any of them for similar work..would like to see some recommendation if any.

Many thanks

Hi,

My friend got the quotes from companies Sentinel maintenance ltd and Cannon contractors for applying damp proof course and tanking system.

Did you guys have experience with any of them for similar work..would like to see some recommendation if any.

Many thanks

Sentinel have existed in several guises,frequently going into receivership and liquidation,reforming at a later date with similar personnel.I would never use them.Tanking slurry is very effective,can be applied by a moderately skilled person prepared to graft a bit,and is cheap(KA Building Supplies)I did one flank of a terrace for £50-you wont get a quote to beat that.

Hi

We needed someone PCA registered to do our DPC as part of a mortgage retention. Contacted a company called mid uk property solutions who we found to be very good. Quote was as expected, came and collected keys off us as the work was meant to start 1st Oct but they've started early as their other job was outside and couldn't be completed due to the weather. I'd recommend them.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I am having some damp proof done this weekend in my house do I need a guarantee that is underwritten?

The guy who is doing it for us states that he will give us one but will charge more and that it is not wrth the paper it is written on as if he goes out of business then he sadi the insurance company will not guarantee the work as they will find an ecxcuse not to for example he sadi they will state that the job was not done properly in the first place and so wont pay out.

Can anyone give me any sort of advice on this?

MAny Thanks Sheena 07713161155

If your morgage lender is insisting on the damp proof work being done[ they often do ]then they will want it underwritten.What you have been told by the guy doing the work is quite proberly true,and if you are getting the work done simply because it needs doing ,then i wouldnt worry too much about it. But like i said ,if the morgage lender is saying the work needs doing,then yes they will insist on it being underwritten.

Mmm, odd thing for the guy to say.

The point of underwriting is partly to protect you if the contractor goes bust.

An insurance company shouldn't be underwriting a guarantee without being fully satsified with the work carried out.

Avoid and find another builder!

I would not be thinking about that to be honest the guys attitude would of set my alarm bells ringing! personally I would keep well clear of him a guy that has little faith in his own business is one that has no trusted in his own work. Just as a matter of interest what type of damp proofing is he using and what type of wall construction is your property?