Joining the army what's your views

If you dont mind being shouted at and told what to do, where to go etc. possibly being shot or blown up then join.

On the other hand you will get fit, learn discipline and work in really close knit teams. You will make friends for life so I understand. Its a lifestyle rather than a job.

This is the reality but no job is all positive at the end of the day.

Source: friends in the army.

If you were to join the British Army today basic training would involve the use of weapons.

I was a national serviceman in the British army 50 years ago. We were trained in the use of weapons during basic back then. Live fire range shooting with the standard NATO 7.62 SLR rifle, Bren guns, Stirlings and small arms then onto the artillery ranges to fire the 25 pounder anti-tank gun.

The army was a lot tougher back then also. No mollycoddling

Yet it's those same screw-up politicians who ultimately have the power to send those men and women to clean up their mess. The military is merely a tool of government which means they are at the mercy of politicians' predominantly self-interest driven policy making.

There may have been a time when this country had leaders with whom we could entrust our military...

Blame yourself. You are the voter who elects the politician after all

:huh: My post was a response your suggestion that there was no politics involved in the military, which is complete BS since governments decide when and how the military is used. Anyone considering joining up should first consider whether the incumbent government is likely to use the military responsibly or for self serving reasons.

No point bringing my personal voting record into the argument. I didn't vote for the manifestos of any of the elected governments of my lifetime. Even if you did vote for them, specific military operations aren't often part of their election manifesto.

I was a national serviceman in the British army 50 years ago. We were trained in the use of weapons during basic back then. Live fire range shooting with the standard NATO 7.62 SLR rifle, Bren guns, Stirlings and small arms then onto the artillery ranges to fire the 25 pounder anti-tank gun.

The army was a lot tougher back then also. No mollycoddling

You point being what ?

Mate, there are a lot of views here from some people who have not the slightest notion of army life.

I recently retired after 22 years and although I have been to some hair raising places I have never shot or killed anyone despite my role.

Being in the forces is about teamwork, leadership, looking out for your mates, proving yourself. It's about caring for others because what the public do not see is all the humanitarian missions that the forces carry out.

There is no room for racism, you learn to respect others and not pre judge.

I could not list all the countries I have visited.

It's about learning more than one trade, (double hatted).

My wife and son lived with me in Germany, Northern Ireland and Uk, but stayed at home ( obviously) when I travelled to dangerous location. My wife looks back in fondness at army life despite not always being rosy. Sometimes I could be away 6 months at a time, but safe in the knowledge that the army family was looking after them.

Sorry to rattle on mate.

Don't listen to the political bull crap spouted by those that do not have a clue, get down to the recruiting office, get as much info as possible and arm yourself with questions not just from you but from the family as well.

:huh: My post was a response your suggestion that there was no politics involved in the military, which is complete BS since governments decide when and how the military is used. Anyone considering joining up should first consider whether the incumbent government is likely to use the military responsibly or for self serving reasons.

No point bringing my personal voting record into the argument. I didn't vote for the manifestos of any of the elected governments of my lifetime. Even if you did vote for them, specific military operations aren't often part of their election manifesto.

What I meant when i said there were no politics in the military was that there is no politics in the ranks. Soldiers come in all stripes of political and religious beliefs but owe their allegience to the government and the country they serve.

You the people elect the government. The government is given a mandate by you for a fixed period of time to adminster the internal affairs of the country in the best interest of the citizenery, to safeguard it from internal and external harm amd to carry out foreign policy in line with that or in conjunction with allies with which there is a military agreement ie NATO for one.

Sometimes along the way that government may do something you dont particularly like or agree with but in a democracy your recourse to action is to express your disagreement with your local government representative, participate in peaceful demonstration, even write to the PM and the Queen if you wish. What you cant do is terminate the power of the government you elected. You have to wait until their term has expired and express your dissastisfaction by voting for another party.

The government you the people elect automatically assumes power over the military forces and the military forces are subject to orders and instructions which come down from the government and the PM through his/her minister of defence and by your vote you have thus empowered that government to do so. Who is to say if it's not part of their election manifesto? You as an individual? Situations change very suddeny in today's world and governments dont have crystal balls.

Going back to WW2 a reporter from the press asked the pilot of the Enola Gay which dropped the A Bomb on Japan how he felt about having killed so many people. The pilot asnswered "how do YOU feel"

Get my drift?

You point being what ?

My point being in reply to your earlier remark that if you joined the army today you would receive weapons training during basic.

Well gee willikers guy every soldier who has ever joined up either now, in the past or in the future gets weapons training in basic even if he or she is in the Catering Corps. the Medical Corps or the REME.

But what's your point with this ?

Who is to say they actually voted for the Cons or Dems ?

Why are you making this personal as if they are responsible for what is happening ? How do you know how they voted ?

That's the question.,

:huh: My post was a response your suggestion that there was no politics involved in the military, which is complete BS since governments decide when and how the military is used. Anyone considering joining up should first consider whether the incumbent government is likely to use the military responsibly or for self serving reasons.No point bringing my personal voting record into the argument. I didn't vote for the manifestos of any of the elected governments of my lifetime. Even if you did vote for them, specific military operations aren't often part of their election manifesto.

How would a potential recruit know unless he was a reincarnation of General Montgomery and also had a crystal ball in his possession?

Archived