Joining the army what's your views

How would a potential recruit know unless he had a crystal ball in his possession ? :hihi:

That's a fare point, how would they know ?

I guess you just have to have faith in the political elite of this country, which today is pretty hard given they change their minds from one minute to the next. Just look at what is happening now in the national Health, the Government don't have a mandate to meddle in its running in the way it is being.

Just look at the Democrats turn around on tuition fee's.

Democracy does not have the same meaning it did even a decade ago so how can anyone signing up for 10 years expect things to be the same ?

Harleyman said: "Going back to WW2 a reporter from the press asked the pilot of the Enola Gay which dropped the A Bomb on Japan how he felt about having killed so many people. The pilot asnswered "how do YOU feel" "

Did he ask the same guy the same question 50 years on?

Mate, there are a lot of views here from some people who have not the slightest notion of army life.

I recently retired after 22 years and although I have been to some hair raising places I have never shot or killed anyone despite my role.

Being in the forces is about teamwork, leadership, looking out for your mates, proving yourself. It's about caring for others because what the public do not see is all the humanitarian missions that the forces carry out.

There is no room for racism, you learn to respect others and not pre judge.

I could not list all the countries I have visited.

It's about learning more than one trade, (double hatted).

My wife and son lived with me in Germany, Northern Ireland and Uk, but stayed at home ( obviously) when I travelled to dangerous location. My wife looks back in fondness at army life despite not always being rosy. Sometimes I could be away 6 months at a time, but safe in the knowledge that the army family was looking after them.

Sorry to rattle on mate.

Don't listen to the political bull crap spouted by those that do not have a clue, get down to the recruiting office, get as much info as possible and arm yourself with questions not just from you but from the family as well.

very true , I work in defence (not full time now} mainly on oz ships.

and you could do a lot worse than being in the forces.

a lot of the the work the oz navy does is humanitarian.. timor .and the boxing day tsanami bearly rateted a mention in the press, but very satisfying and rewarding work for the people doing it.

the moneys not bad too.

a six month deployment up the persian gulf ,(depending which zone your in)

could get you nearly $50,000 in the bank for even the lowest rating.

plus you get very good houseing loans,medical and rental deals aswell

How would a potential recruit know unless he was a reincarnation of General Montgomery and also had a crystal ball in his possession?

Well of course, but it's still an important consideration on top of thinking purely about the job itself. Know those who determine your fate as well as possible. You don't need a crystal ball, for example, to know how business is typically done when it comes to war.

I read your previous post and I do get what you're saying. I still think it is the duty of every potential sign-up to consider how the modern day military is used and also who influences the decision making of the politicians who ultimately send you to fight. You'd do that with any other job - look at the history and nature of the company, its industry, your role etc.

Although a long time ago, I still think Eisenhower's speech on the military industrial complex resonates today in highlighting how US foreign policy is shaped. If the very system you live in is ruled by self-interest (which I'm not saying is necessarily wrong in of itself) then you must be aware exactly whose interests you ultimately serve, beyond abstract, vacuous notions of freedom and my country.

Of course, this is all completely unrealistic if you're simply in that "need a job" mentality.

The only problem that I see with joining the army is that you do not get to shoot the people who you really dislike. Such people tend to be the people who send you into the danger zone while they sit on their fat butts getting more and more prosperous.

Archived