Joining the army what's your views

But our soldiers arn't defending our country. We always get ourselves involved in other peoples civil wars.

Who are we to say whether that country's government or rebals are in the right/wrong?

Yet we take sides, get involved, create a puppet government, then 30 years later a new enemy (that used to be our friends) appears.

If you were in the army it is not your place to question what is what or who fights who you are a soldier and you do as you are told politics are no your problem that is above your head, you go were the army send you,as for getting involved in things we have been doing that for centuries and that is the way of the world, as they say in the army yours is not to question why but to do or die.

We go on and on about how little we trust the rhetoric that comes from our leaders' mouths. Why is it only in times of war that this healthy distrust should be suspended, and we should just "do as we're told" for the apparent good of the nation?

One of the main reasons I would not join the army is because I don't trust the government to only send us to fight when it's absolutely necessary. Elect a government that morally justifies its policy making better than recent governments and my view might change.

I would expect any soldier to thoroughly question the reasons they are sent to "fight for their country". Critical thinking is one thing that separates us from the animal kingdom. Lose that, you might as well shoot yourself in the head.

We go on and on about how little we trust the rhetoric that comes from our leaders' mouths. Why is it only in times of war that this healthy distrust should be suspended, and we should just "do as we're told" for the apparent good of the nation?

One of the main reasons I would not join the army is because I don't trust the government to only send us to fight when it's absolutely necessary. Elect a government that morally justifies its policy making better than recent governments and my view might change.

I would expect any soldier to thoroughly question the reasons they are sent to "fight for their country". Critical thinking is one thing that separates us from the animal kingdom. Lose that, you might as well shoot yourself in the head.

Soldiers don't have a voice once they have joined up they just have to do what they are told wether they agree with it or not.

Soldiers don't have a voice once they have joined up they just have to do what they are told wether they agree with it or not.

Yes but we're talking about the decision to join the army in the first place. If you trust the government in every morally justified reason they give to go to war, then by all means, but I'm hoping people don't suspend any distrust they might have for some romantic concept of fighting for queen and country.

Archived