Ban chuggers from our city centres

Burnley's got the right idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104736/Council-bans-chuggers-High-Street-scaring-away-shoppers.html

Isn't it time Sheffield did the same? People should not be harassed by these morons as they go about their business in town.

I'd ban them in a heartbeat. Ban those claim companies and their mini marquees as well. If I want either of them I'll find them.

I thought this was a thread about banning people drinking too fast.

But I agree! they're horrible, if I want to give to Charity, I will seek out the Charity I want to donate to. Normally I will pretend to be on the phone...or in a less forever alone world, I'll be on the phone so they wont talk to me. But they spend all day darting the length of Fargate trying to get people... so very annoying.

I'm amazed that charitys actually use chuggers at all, as their success rate at signing people up must be tiny.

Actually I'm amazed that anyone gives them the time of day. Why would anyone be stupid enough to give their bank details to some scruffy student in the street just because they're wearing an Oxfam badge?

chuggers cost a fortune, something in the region of £100 per DD signature goes to the companies that are contracted to do this kind of work for the charities.

One way to stop it from happening is to refuse to support these charities and give your money to real charities that do not have CEO's on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year and million pound portfolios.

Support your local small charity making a real difference in your area instead!

They should be banned and charity CEO pay capped.

If your donating to charity you want to help the poor and down trodden not people in the street carrying out sophisticated begging nor the fat cats whom pay themselves way above the national average.

I'm amazed that charitys actually use chuggers at all, as their success rate at signing people up must be tiny.

You'd think that wouldn't you, yet the very fact these charities keep on using them must show it works and the charity is getting money from it. Even after paying the companies who employ the chuggers.

I rarely get approached by them. I tend to spot them a mile off and set my expression to "tight git".

Funny how they always set the girlies to approach the blokes.....I wonder if many blokes are daft enough to cough up just because they've been thrilled to be approached by a friendly female.

Funny how they always set the girlies to approach the blokes.....I wonder if many blokes are daft enough to cough up just because they've been thrilled to be approached by a friendly female.

Guilty ! It doesn't happen very often normally so initially I was easy girly chugger meat. Never donated but had time wasted.

Otherwise you have to be walking round town with a phone clamped to your ear or a stern expression on your face otherwise you have to be mean. They won't take a cheery no thanks, it has to be a mean no thanks , normally two.

Burnley's got the right idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104736/Council-bans-chuggers-High-Street-scaring-away-shoppers.html

Isn't it time Sheffield did the same? People should not be harassed by these morons as they go about their business in town.

they are so annoying!!!! they approach me all the time! even when ive got my earphones in they jog after me. i had one of them try to take my earphones out as well, cheeky so and sos! :rant:

Archived