Ban chuggers from our city centres

all of them?

if that's so then you had better not go anywhere in the sea around the uk, as the only assistance which will be available to you will be from the RNLI which is funded totally from charitable donations and has been since it's founding almost 190 years ago.

RNLI should not rely on donations.We are an island for gods sake! The government should fund it.

I do give to charity,but not chuggers,tv ads or bags through the post.

I go direct..to the respite centre up the road (for terminally ill kids)

I go into town a lot and never have any problems. I really don't see why you lot seem to have so much trouble with them.

A polite smile and shake of the head usually works, sometimes with a brief bit of light banter for the more chatty ones.

You've done alright then. I've had two of them literally stand in front of me and as I tried to walk past them, stretch their arms out to make it more difficult to walk past them. A pleasant no thankyou clearly wasn't sufficient. Now I wasn't exactly rugby tackled to floor but I don't want to be man handled when I go to the bank. I don't tell them to eff off but wonder if it might at least cut to the chase.

I had a bloke in Leeds city centre approach me collecting direct debits for the NSPCC. I politely informed him "no thanks".

As I was walking away I heard him say "So you support child cruelty..."

I was extremely angry but carried on walking. I will never EVER give any money or my bank details to a chugger. These people are just beggars on a commission. Some of them aggressive beggars.

chuggers cost a fortune, something in the region of £100 per DD signature goes to the companies that are contracted to do this kind of work for the charities.

One way to stop it from happening is to refuse to support these charities and give your money to real charities that do not have CEO's on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year and million pound portfolios.

Support your local small charity making a real difference in your area instead!

This is very true. Did you know if you give to the RSPCA chuggers who have all the emotive pics of the poor sick baby animals it will go to the centralised RSPCA who actually are a great big lobbying organisation and give little funding to animals whilst spending a lot on wining and dining MPs and similar 'campaigning' activity.

If you actually want to give something to properly help animals you need to give direct to our local RSPCA centre who believe it or not receive little or no funding from the rich central RSPCA.

Great idea the thread; couldnt agree more with the OP. Charities are kidding themselves if they think that 'chuggers' are not simply a total waste of money as well as a Public Order nuisance. So many of us will be happy to pop out for nothing on a fine weekend to man a charity fundraiser stall or shake a collection bucket for nothing but goodwill.

Archived