DEPRESSION and anxiety/panic attacks ..

Howdoo Sheera.

I've suffered with anxiety for the last 12 years. I suffered in silence untill about 2007, at which point it got so bad I had to "come out" to my family. I came off work, went bankrupt, and the dole sent me on a CBT course, my GP refered me to a counciller, who couldn't help.

I enjoyed the CBT course, it really did help me just to talk about what triggered my attacks and my train of thought at the time. The fact that I was doing something possitive to change my life inspired me to start at a gym, eat healthier; the better body in turn boosted my confidence through the roof, I got out more, a new and more promising career, stopped smoking, met a woman, met several more... My little shame was almost completely gone. Things were going great.

Then it came back last year. It kicked its way in to my marriage and announced itself to my wife. For a few weeks it was really bad again, I contacted my GP (Tramways in Hillsborough (the first time I suffered I lived in Barnsley)) and they were great, the training in mental health dissorders seems to have had some light shone on it in the last few years. They refered me to a mental health professional who was a decent bloke. He told me something that pretty much woke me up and left me almost giggling with hope. He said that panic attacks aren't dangerous. You can't die from a panic attack. It seems daft now but as soon as I heard this I felt so relieved, as though this simple little fact was something that had been playing on my mind all along - the asthma attacks, the heart attacks, they were all a figmant of my imagination, this I knew; but I was suffering panic attacks, this I knew too. Now I find out that panic attacks can't hurt me? Tidy.

So now whenever I have an attack, which is rare at the moment (it ebs and flows) I keep reminding myself that my little shame can't hurt me at all.

One thing I will say is that you aren't alone. I am constantly shocked by the number and variety of people who suffer anxiety and depression (Louis Spence for christ sake - he's the most confident, extroverted man on the telly). I recently wrote a short article about a panic attack I had a while back (found here - http://dkashorts.blogspot.com/p/panick-attack.html) and I advertised my blog on my facebook page. I recieved an inbox from someone I hadn't spoken to for years, he was shocked that there were other people who suffer from the same thing he did. His friends and collegues had told him to grow up and snap out of it so many times, that he started to listen, and thought that there was something wrong with him. That backward way of thinking is what has held the treatment of this illness up for years, and I do think that the best way of dealing with it is by talking about it with the ones you love.

Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)?

^^ This ^^

Pills, alone, are not a cure all for those with mental health needs. Therapy is key to getting the pills working correctly and hopefully weening you off them.

Booze with Anti-depressants makes your feelings 4x as worse and should not be used together.

If you cant get help via the NHS you can use a sliding scale service.. SHARE in Sheffield start at £7 all the way up to £40 per session depending on your income and needs (rates are slightly higher if from outside Sheffield)

You dont have to go through this alone..

^^ This ^^

Pills, alone, are not a cure all for those with mental health needs. Therapy is key to getting the pills working correctly and hopefully weening you off them.

Booze with Anti-depressants makes your feelings 4x as worse and should not be used together.

If you cant get help via the NHS you can use a sliding scale service.. SHARE in Sheffield start at £7 all the way up to £40 per session depending on your income and needs (rates are slightly higher if from outside Sheffield)

You dont have to go through this alone..

They most certainly can be.

I have suffered from these conditions since being a late teen and i am now in late 20s. I have sometimes been to the doc two or three times in one week because the feelings are overwhelming!!! They prescribed anti depressants, which i have been on since 18 and i am still on.

As time goes by they tell me to increase or try another one which isnt a cure, and it doesnt resolve anything. Have i got to live with these feelings for life i wonder, tablets are not the answer and dont solve anything!!!!! Im more than frustrated that nothing more positive has been done all these yrs:rant::rant::rant: Is anyone else in a simular situation?

I'll add my opinions on this.

I think you have to take yourself out of the situation that is causing you stress, or put yourself into a position/or situations that boost your self esteem. If you can do one, or both then this would help your situation.

It doesn't matter how many tablets, medication or pills that you take unless you deal with the underlying problem then nothing will improve.

With regards putting yourself into a positive place, this could be taking up a new hobby and thereby meeting new people. It could be your job that is causing you thr stress and so, you need to take steps to change this situation.

I went fully self employed last year, as the type of work I was in previously was causing me stress. I was literally drinking every night to unwind/destress - if you watched the panorama programme earlier this week, an astounding number of professionals are drinking every night to relieve stress, and I was one of them. The stress was caused by traffic jams, commuting, the job etc....until I dealt with this problem, no amount of tablets would improve the situation.

Now I'm fully self employed, I still have stress - but a different kind of stress. As a consequence, I have not touched any alcohol since November 2011 as it now turns my stomach to drink it.

GOing back to your question, I think you have to be totally honest with yourself, identify what is causing you distress, sort that out. You then need to find out what makes you feel happy and then take steps towards moving your life into that direction. That is the only way you will deal with your problem

I have suffered from these conditions since being a late teen and i am now in late 20s. I have sometimes been to the doc two or three times in one week because the feelings are overwhelming!!! They prescribed anti depressants, which i have been on since 18 and i am still on.

As time goes by they tell me to increase or try another one which isnt a cure, and it doesnt resolve anything. Have i got to live with these feelings for life i wonder, tablets are not the answer and dont solve anything!!!!! Im more than frustrated that nothing more positive has been done all these yrs:rant::rant::rant: Is anyone else in a simular situation?

I second the CBT as its worked for some people I know but not everyone, you have to face up to the fact that unfortunately, yes you may have 'these feelings for life'. You have to learn to manage them as tablets alone don't always help, a very good friend of mine is in her 50's and suffers from depression everyday even on tablets! Talk to your doctor about managing the panic attacks and depression and they will be able to guide you to someone to help you. There are usually lots of leaflets etc in the doctors waiting room. I hope you manage to get some positive help soon :)

They most certainly can be.

Im a big believer in therapy. The combination of both, long term, usually works in very high success rates with people being eased off medication. While pills alone tend to have people dependent on them for life.

Yes, not every case of depression/anxiety/stress can be solved like this and there are people who need to be on medicine for life, but those numbers are relatively small.

I've been on and off anti-depressants since I was 17 (though suffered from depression from as early as age eight) and what really helped me was therpy and speaking to someone who was non-judgmental as well as teaching me coping mechanisms for what was happening to me. With what was taught, I was able to handle things a lot better and become a stronger healthier person.

Archived