DEPRESSION and anxiety/panic attacks ..

I suggest you check if you have borderline personality, pills don't work for people with borderline.

CBT is excellent and I suggest you learn DBT (an offshoot of CBT).

People are happier that live on the coast because they eat more seafood which contains Omega-3. You can get cheap fish oil (omega-3) from vitamins. Ground flaxseed is also cheap and will not only have a soothing effect on depression but it will make your skin and hair healthier and protect you against cancer (take a tablespoon daily with your cereal).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_behavior_therapy

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030117/fish-oil-soothes-personality-disorder

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/991.html

They most certainly can be.

They can, but as I mentioned above it depends on what the cause of the problem is. Depression brought about by circumstances can (sometimes) be permanently cured by dealing with those circumstances - which might require all manner of different treatments according to the individual. Depression caused by a chemical failing in the brain can only be cured by medication.

I have been having anxiety issues for the last 11 years. Been on and off tablets, currently on them and have been for about 7 years and they do work as haven't had panic attacks, still get anxious about some things. I went for CBT and didn't get on with it at all cos it was in a group and although everyone was in the same boat my physical symptoms were so overwhelming I sometimes couldn't get to group. You have to find out what works for you, I find that getting rid of "nervous" energy seems to help like getting exercise, cleaning, doing anything physical to get rid of that energy reserved for fight or flight. Talking to people helps to about anything really, singing, dancing round like an idiot all these things help me, not dwelling on things that set you off. I was never depressed in the sense that depression took over, the anxiety symptoms made me depressed and frustrated because it stopped me doing so much. You have to make yourself do things otherwise it will just take over your life and you cant let it win.

Have you ever read a book called 'self help for your nerves' by claire weekes?

I started with panic attacks and was diagnosed as having acute anxiety and panic disorder when I was 21. I am now 37.

I do still have them from time to time but when I do I am usually able to carry on as normal.

The book I mention was the best thing I ever read. I can't really explain why, apart from it was the first time that I felt like someone actually knew what I was going through and gave me ways of dealing with it.

When I first started with them i was on antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication, tranquilisers and painkillers...a total of 18 tablets each day, so I know how bad it can get. I also didn't leave my house for over four months.

A combination of this book and learning to relax by a method that involves relaxing each of your muscle groups one by one is what started to make me feel like I had control again.

It isn't an overnight recovery from an illness like this but it IS possible to get past them and live a normal life with only the odd panic attack once every few months.

This is a link to the book... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Help-Your-Nerves-overcoming/dp/0722531559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329949946&sr=8-1

I have honeslty bought about 8 copies as every time I heard of someone having panic attacks I gave them my copy. Once they had them they wouldn't give them back, so I had to buy another...and another .....and another lol

I absoloutly agree 100% saved my life many years ago .

I absoloutly agree 100% saved my life many years ago .

It saved mine too.

It sounds like a huge statement to say that a book saved your life doesn't it? But it did.

I was desperate. I didn't want to kill myself but at the same time I couldn't handle feeling how I did any longer. I also thought I was dying anyway so just wanted it to be over quickly.

This book was recommended to me and to be truthful I didn't think I would even be able to concentrate for long enough to read a single page....but I did, and it's because I did that I'm still here now and typing this.

I carried the book around with me for a couple of years. I wouldn;t go anywhere without it! If ever I felt panic setting in I took the book out and read certain bits of it.

There is one sentence, I think on page 11 or so, that says something along the lines of "no one that has never had a panic attack can even begin to imagine the intensity of the fear felt by someone who has them". That sentence on its own made me feel better, as I immediately realised that someone understood!

Her approach to dealing with it works so well too, it takes practice but it works...

Face it

Accept it

Float past it

Let time pass

@sarahjane, have you considered helping others through their depression and anxiety?

May sound odd, but I think people who suffered with a particular thing, and gotten past it, are very well placed to help those struggling with that thing (in this case depression). I recon it's something that could be thereputic for both parties. :)

Hi Waldo

I have considered it but as I am not qualified in the literal sense, I don't think I would be able to.

I have helped people on an individual basis, e.g. friends who have suffereed and a family member, but I don't know how much I could actually do for other people without the correct qualifications.

Panic attacks are the thing I have suffered with the most in the past (although I have also suffered with depression but this wasn't anywhere near as crippling as the panic disorder) and I hate it when I hear about how they are affecting other peoples lives in such a negative way.

The medical profession are getting better at dealing with things like this but it really does depend on your own GP and how well educated they are in this particular field. I was lucky, my GP was wonderful, but even so, it was me who found the book, found coping strategies etc.

It took away, in total, about two years of my life, starting at the age of 21 when I should have been out enjoying myself.

I often think though, that although they were the most horrific thing I have ever had to deal with, in hindsight I am glad I had them.

They have shaped the person I am today and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

I would love to be able to re-train in a profession to help people with things like this but unfortunately with a mortgage on my own, a full time job and a part time job etc it just isn't possible.

If anyone on here ever needed to talk to someone though I would be more than happy to talk to them.

The thing with panic attacks is that the person suffering really genuinely often believes that there is something else wrong with them. The sensations are so real and the belief is so deep rooted that it is just one constant state of fear. I was always convinced I had a brain tumour and it took a long time (and the book I mention) before I actually started to believe it might be panic attacks. Once you get through that part the process becomes a lot easier.

One thing that really doesn't help either is when people use the words 'panic attack' in such trivial circumstances eg. "oh I almost missed the bus today, had a panic attack" etc. When people say things like that, the real sufferers think 'well my problems can't be panic attacks because it is far worse than that'.

Sorry, that was a lot more long winded answer than you probably wanted! lol

In short, yes I would love to help people and am happy to talk to people, but in reality with no training there is only so much I am able to do.

x

Being in a very similar situation to the OP, I was referred by my GP to the practice counsellor for CBT. I can honestly say it was an utter waste of time. The sessions were no where near long enough and felt almost scripted. Every time I asked a question, the response was the same - 'Well, if you give me a moment I can print off a self-help sheet for EXACTLY that...' I'm not saying that CBT is a waste of time for everyone, but was pretty useless in my situation.

As someone has already pointed out, if there is an actual chemical imbalance in the brain then medication is most likely to be one of the best options. I've been told that I will be on some sort of anti-depressant for the rest of my life now, along with beta-blockers for the anxiety/panic. It's not an ideal solution by any means but it helps.

I suggest the OP also looks closely at their lifestyle for a much more generic solution. For example, not putting extra pressure on yourself and identifying any factors which are hindering having an anxiety-free life (such as letting go of negative feeling,etc). It might all sound very airy-fairy but I realised I was walking around with so much self-imposed negativity on my shoulders that it was affecting my life in a big way.

It also might sound common sense, but a healthy diet and exercise helps a lot! I'm lucky that I live a stones throw from lots of lovely countryside and can get out, even for just half an hour. On my bleakest of days, it really helps to push yourself out of that door.

Sending love and best wishes to the OP x

Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)?

I'm supposed to do this but can't see how talking about the abuse I suffered and talking about post traumatic stress disorder and how it makes me feel.

Can solve my problems, Iv done pills for years and shrinks I agree with the OP.

I too feel my life will always be effected by the PTS.

And that I'm never going to be able to get past it.

Every time I feel I am getting close to dealing with it I relaps.

Back in to being depressed every day and struggling with flash backs ect.

Archived