Purchases made in Sheffield 1943 - 1971

sujen

I have been sorting through the papers of my aunt who died earlier this year. She was a meticulous record keeper and I have found a notebook containing a record of everything she bought from 1943 to 1971. It lists the items, where bought and price paid; for instance a corset could be bought from Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-op for 19s 3d. It occurs to me that this is a wonderful record of a time gone by and might possibly be of interest to historians, local or otherwise. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm sure the Local History Library in the Central Library on Surrey Street would love to add it to their collection. They are frequently asked for information on the cost/prices of things in the past, and although you book goes up to only 30 years ago, it will be of interest many years into the future. Even on its own, it spans 30 years, and there must be interesting comparisons between the early entries and the last ones.

Here's a link to the Sheffield Archives:

Sheffield Archives

The site says that "Sheffield Archives collects, preserves and lists records relating to Sheffield and South Yorkshire and makes them available for reference and research". They have a section concerning the private records of individuals from all walks of life.

They should be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction.

I find these little bits of personal and family history fascinating! what a wonderful insight into life back then...

on a similar note, there was an incident that was related to me, which stuck so much in my mind...

My late mother "telled us" the tale of my grandparents being given some kind of grant, to clothe her and her three siblings. (possibly similar to the education department clothing grants;- I dunno the specifics, this was back in the very, very early 50s)

Part of this grant was a coupon, for the Co-op, to get one pair of shoes per child, and it was for "a pair of shoes, up to the value of

20/ (shillings)" (an "old" pound)

My grandmother said to my mother, before setting off to purchase the shoes:-

"Don't you DARE choose a pair costing any more than 19/11 !!" (nineteen shillings and elevenpence)

So, only fifty five years ago, you could have a child shod with a reasonably stout pair of shoes for twenty-bob.

When you consider that a loaf can cost over £1-and 2/- (£1-10) and four pints of milk can cost up to thirty bob (£1.50) these days, it really makes you sit up and think, doesn't it?

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

When you consider that a loaf can cost over £1-and 2/- (£1-10) and four pints of milk can cost up to thirty bob (£1.50) these days, it really makes you sit up and think, doesn't it?

PT

Inflation began for me when chips went up from 3 old pence a bag (about one and a half pence?)

Algy

Thank you so much for your input. I will certainly do something with it - the point about copyright is taken.

My next task is to read her diaries - kept from the 1930s up to when she began to suffer from dementia in the late 90s. Should be fascinating. She taught at Duchess Road school for her entire working life so there may be people out there who remember Miss Furness - she certainly remembered them.

• 1 month later...

Plain Talker — where on earth do you shop! Bread at more than a £!. Even a toastie loaf in Manchester is only 91p. I bought one today from Tesco in Manchester. And milk! I can get it at half the price. I’d advise you to shop around. I’m guessing, but I think you’ve grown too fond of the corner shop where everything’s more expensive.

Plain Talker — where on earth do you shop! Bread at more than a £!. Even a toastie loaf in Manchester is only 91p. I bought one today from Tesco in Manchester. And milk! I can get it at half the price. I’d advise you to shop around. I’m guessing, but I think you’ve grown too fond of the corner shop where everything’s more expensive.

Yes I do tend to rely on my corner shop, over much, probably...

Being disabled, and unable to trek very far, I'm a bit reliant on the corner shop being handy for me.

Last night, I went there, and I paid 99p for a plain, 800g mothers pride loaf, and £1.19 for a small tub of butter (proper lurpak butter, BTW)

sorry, getting off topic

PT

Archived